Bus tickets in Florence

Anne Slayden

Can you get bus tickets for within Florence and within Tuscany online in advance? We’ll be in Florence 4 days, and wish to take a bus to Siena. Thanks!

YES! And tickets work that you buy them at any time, when you get on the bus you get them stamped at the machine when you get on and that prints the date and time on it, therefore "activating" it.
The lucky thing is that ALL bus companies in Tuscany are now one single company, therefore you can buy tickets that are valid all the towns, or buy tickets for "extra urbani" that take you between towns and they can be used when you need them. Tickets are not sold with a date or time on them, that way you can use them anytime you need them. You can buy them ahead of time, and activate them when you get on the bus.
The site has info on where to buy tickets: https://www.at-bus.it/it/biglietti-e-abbonamenti/come_acquistare.html (unfortunately it is only in Italian at the moment).
You can get paper bus tickets at most newspaper agents and some tabacchi shops, some stops have ticket machines as well. The easiest is likely to install the APP TABNET on your phone and buy them digitally as you need them - they still need to be "activated" within the app at the moment you want to use them. That's the most important step, buying them on the app does not activate them and can get you a fine if they aren't activated before use.

YES! And tickets work that you buy them at any time, when you get on the bus you get them stamped at the machine when you get on and that prints the date and time on it, therefore "activating" it.
The lucky thing is that ALL bus companies in Tuscany are now one single company, therefore you can buy tickets that are valid all the towns, or buy tickets for "extra urbani" that take you between towns and they can be used when you need them. Tickets are not sold with a date or time on them, that way you can use them anytime you need them. You can buy them ahead of time, and activate them when you get on the bus.
The site has info on where to buy tickets: https://www.at-bus.it/it/biglietti-e-abbonamenti/come_acquistare.html (unfortunately it is only in Italian at the moment).
You can get paper bus tickets at most newspaper agents and some tabacchi shops, some stops have ticket machines as well. The easiest is likely to install the APP TABNET on your phone and buy them digitally as you need them - they still need to be "activated" within the app at the moment you want to use them. That's the most important step, buying them on the app does not activate them and can get you a fine if they aren't activated before use.
How about maps for different cities? We’d be in Firenze, Siena, Lucca, Parma, Torino. Thanks for the prompt reply!

You mean bus line maps? Nowadays most everything is online on apps or on their websites, you'd need to look for those other cities online. For Firenze, Siena and Lucca, you can go to the trip planner on the bus website I linked above - https://www.at-bus.it/it/strumenti/trip-planner.html - and you can see maps of any place you plot on there.

Thank you for all the info. Unfortunately the app won’t send a security code to a foreign phone number. But I imagine you can buy a 72-hour ticket at Peretola?
Also, are bus tickets good for the tram from the airport?

Tickets are the same for both tram and buses in Florence, so you can buy the ticket at the airport for the tram, get downtown and if you need to transfer to a bus, you do it using the same ticket. You can buy tram ticket right by the track, there are machines there.

I am not sure about 72 hour tickets though - I don't believe those exist anymore. You'll need to get single tickets to use when you need them - you get them ahead of time, just stamp them to activate them for use once you climb on the first bus/tram.

Tickets are the same for both tram and buses in Florence, so you can buy the ticket at the airport for the tram, get downtown and if you need to transfer to a bus, you do it using the same ticket. You can buy tram ticket right by the track, there are machines there.

I am not sure about 72 hour tickets though - I don't believe those exist anymore. You'll need to get single tickets to use when you need them - you get them ahead of time, just stamp them to activate them for use once you climb on the first bus/tram.
Thank you!

Ciao Anne, I sent an email asking about registering with a foreign number and they say they have lots of users with foreign numbers registered.
You need to enter 00 + country code + phone number and you should get the text message to confirm registration.
If you don't it could be your phone company blocking the text message.
Anyways, someone else posted that the app is only in italian and that sure doesn't help either!

I just use paper tickets, but it does require some planning ahead to get the right ones for the places you want to visit (if not all within the city).