Caesar bust at the Uffizi - can anyone help me out?

digitalldj

Hello everyone, i recently spent a week in florence and absolutely loved it. While at the Uffizi in one of the main hall's there is a fairly large bust of Caesar. In this bust he has longer hair, a beard, and is wearing his armour.

I'd love a picture of this bust if anyone knows of the one. However i'm moreso looking for the inscription associated with this bust. It explains the sculptors idea behind it and says somthing along the lines of "The frown on his face displays the burden he carries, the beard shows he's a veteran" etc.

if anyone knows of the peice i would loveeee so much to have a picture of the plaque, thank you

mmmm, is this in the first long corridor? I will be visiting the Uffizi soon so I can take a look, otherwise let's see if someone else knows where to look for more info. I searched the catalog I have and all it says is that it is a copy from the end of the Repubblican era. Was it in bronze?

I beleive so, in the first long coridoor on the upper floor?

I beleive I found the one on the virtual tour here:

However, you cannot zoom in on the plaque enough to make it out, and I don't beleive the plaque that had the inscription I'm looking for was mounted whenever the virtual tour was created?

Would he awesome if you go and remember! :)

Hello!!

Took me a while to get back to you but I was at the Uffizi today and remembered to look for your statue and found it :)

julius.jpg

and here's the plaque - you remembered it quite well!

julius-plaque.jpg

The fact that you can now take pics at the Uffizi (and before you couldn't) also helped ;-)

Wow.. i cannot thank you enough for that picture of the bust, i'm amazed that somone actually pulled through for me!! otherwise since I live in Canada i dont know how i would have gotten it! lol

if you have a paypal address you'd be willing to share i'd really love to send ya some money for this. please PM me it.

It's actually for a Tattoo down the road and without this picture it would have been almost impossible.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hold on: you're going to get this tattooed on you?? I have another shot from a little further away, this provides a different vantage point, if it can be of use. Here it is:

julius2.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but no ;) It would be sufficient for me and us here at Discover Tuscany if you just tell your friends, family and anyone else you know who's planning a trip to Italy and Tuscany to look us up, telling them what a wonderful and useful site and forum we have! ;)