Where to spend a month in tuscany

NancyR

My husband and I are planning to stay in Tuscany for the month of October. He will be working for part of the day, and I will have the days free to myself. We both speak Italian and are of Italian heritage. We are looking for suggestions of where we might rent a place. We are looking for a small city, or larger village. We want to be able to feel like we can be a part of where we are, getting to know the local merchants and feel like we are not vacationers. At the same time, I do want shops and boutiques and things to do during the day, so don’t want a super small village where we might get bored. Any suggestions? We were thinking about Arezzo or Cortona (if that hasn’t become too touristy). Many thanks in advance.

Lourdes

The Tuscan Expert ;-)
Staff member
Arezzo would be perfect, while Cortona has become too touristy in my opinion since Frances Mayes and Under the Tuscan Sun came out.

Other possibilities are to choose towns along the train lines, including towns closer to Florence. I would suggest Pontassieve for a small town that would give you all the services and definitely not touristy experience, otherwise Empoli or Montelupo Fiorentino or even Prato or Pistoia. That would also make it easy for you both to take day trips without needing a car. Even Pisa or Lucca would be great in October - as long as you don't stay right in the center, I think you'd still get the local experience if you choose a place just outside the center but walking distance to all that the town offers, including shops and restaurants. I also really like Livorno, which is off most everyone's radar and you can get a really local experience. That would give you the experience of a seaside town in the "off" season since it's October.

NancyR

Thank you so much for that information. It is super helpful!! We are sort of zeroing in on Arezzo, just want to make sure it’s not too big for us to really get to know and settle in/meet people.

Lourdes

The Tuscan Expert ;-)
Staff member
No, Arezzo is not small but the town itself has the feeling of a small town. If you stay central you'll get to visit local shops and coffee shops, after a few days they will recognize you and treat you as a local and not as a passing tourist.