14 day itinerary from Montaione

Jose C

We are staying in a farmhouse in the Montaione area for two weeks in September 2023 and would kindly like your help with suggestions on what to see during our visit. We will have a rental car and are already planning to see Florence, Pisa, Luca, Siena and San Gimignano. We really want to also see some beautiful wineries and drive through beautiful typical Tuscan countryside. Thank you!

Oh you will already be staying in the heart of gorgeous landscapes with great views of Chianti!! On your way to Florence, Siena and San Gimignano you'll be getting more of the Chianti countryside with vineyards and olive groves, but if you want to get the rolling hills with cypresses you'll need to also add in a drive through the Val d'Orcia. Head to Siena, then on to Montalcino and to San Quirico d'Orcia, Pienza and Montepulciano. You'll get the landscapes you see in postcards from the region there.
If you also take the back road to Pisa and skip the FI-Pi-Li you'll get more gorgeous views, but also the faster road cuts through valleys that have views of hilltop towns off the road as you drive there.

As for wineries, they are all over the place. Are you interested in particularly beautiful locations or architecturally modern? There are small boutique wineries across the region, I would highly recommend you look into these three I've highlighted in a recent blog post:
Dianella is closest to Montaione but if you're going to Greve, I highly recommend Viticcio.
As for modern, everyone will tell you to go see Antinori and that isn't far from Montaione, it is a gorgeous place. If you love them, I'd suggest to go to Badia di Passignano for the gourmet meal with Antinori wines.

As our trip approaches wanted to ask a specific question about car rentals. Are there any special requirements to rent a car in Italy, like insurance or other forms of driver’s licenses?

Generally the important thing with your license is to have it accompanied with an international drivers license paperwork which certifies your own country's license is valid and offers translations of your license.

As far as insurance, it works the same with all car rentals: they will offer you the basic package and then offer extra coverage. I generally book my car rentals with my AMEX card because I get coverage through my card's benefits. Find out if your credit card has those types of benefits, it might make sense to not pay the extra ones from the car rental place.

Nothing else comes up to mind as far as other requirements. If you've already rented the car, take a look at the information the agency provides to double check they don't add in extra requirements. I have to admit I haven't rented a car in about 4 years and with the pandemic I know some policies have changed but don't know specifics.