Chianti - Greve or Castellina?

krismk

I am looking to spend 3 nights in Chianti with my mother after spending time in Florence. I am struggling on where to stay because ideally, I don't want to rent a car. I want it to be special and open to staying at a vineyard or farmhouse. I am looking to book excursions - wine tasting, cooking class and possibly truffle hunt or air balloon. Will they arrange pick ups? Is it better to stay in Greve or Castellina? I saw that Viticcio is walking distance to the village but wish they had a restaurant onsite. Is it a better experience to stay in Castellina? Also, any recommendations for private drivers from Florence and from Chianti to Pisa airport?
Thank you for any advice.

Ciao! If you don't want to rent a car, then basically Greve is a better choice than Castellina because you can more easily get to Greve with bus while Castellina is more complicated. Most tours/experiences do arrange pick-ups, but you can also arrange for a private driver to get you places, not just to the airport. I know most places will arrange that type of services as well, you just need to ask.
Viticcio is right outside of town, and yes, they don't have a restaurant on-site which isn't ideal but it is walking distance from restaurants in Greve. What period of the year are you coming in? If in late spring/summer, daylight will be in your favor if you decide to go out for dinner.
As for a private driver, you can take a look at Enjoy Tuscany: https://www.enjoytuscany.net/
or do a search on Google for NCC private drivers in Tuscany. You can ask for quotes for driving you places during your 3 days, it could make it easier for you to expand on what you want and can do in those 3 days.

I am looking to spend 3 nights in Chianti with my mother after spending time in Florence. I am struggling on where to stay because ideally, I don't want to rent a car. I want it to be special and open to staying at a vineyard or farmhouse. I am looking to book excursions - wine tasting, cooking class and possibly truffle hunt or air balloon. Will they arrange pick ups? Is it better to stay in Greve or Castellina? I saw that Viticcio is walking distance to the village but wish they had a restaurant onsite. Is it a better experience to stay in Castellina? Also, any recommendations for private drivers from Florence and from Chianti to Pisa airport?
Thank you for any advice.
If you don't want to rent a car, staying at a vineyard or farmhouse would be a great option, as they often offer excursions and can arrange pick-ups for you. Some places also have restaurants onsite, so you won't have to worry about transportation for meals.

Regarding where to stay, both Greve and Castellina are great options, but it ultimately depends on your preferences. Greve is a larger town with more amenities and restaurants, while Castellina is smaller and more intimate. Viticcio is a great option in Greve as it is walking distance to the village, but if you are looking for a more secluded experience, Castellina might be a better fit.