driving rental car to Piazza Mentana during restricted hours

tcamp0000

Hello, I am staying with my family in an apartment in Piazza Mentana in Zone A. I am coming from Siena and need to drop them off as close as possible to drop luggage and my elderly mother-in-law. i will be driving out of the ztl immediately after dropping them off to go to the Florence Airport.

How can I get a temp pass? can I drive on the roads coming from the south across the Ponte Alle Corraia or another bridge to the east? What route do I need to take to escape without fines, etc.? Thank you all for your advice and help!

Last edited:
Ciao tcamp,

Unfortunately, there is no way to obtain a temp pass for just a drop off the way you would like to do.

You have two options:
- enter the ZTL, do the drop off and then drive and park at a private garage immediately after and park for an hour. Then return to pick up car and leave the ZTL. By going to the garage, they insert your car’s license plate into the white list and you shouldn’t get fined.
- or drive to the piazza right in front of the Biblioteca Nazionale and drop off luggage and MIL there, then they take a taxi the rest of the way. That piazza is the closest to your apartment right before the entrance into the ZTL and just by going back around the piazza and taking the lungarno della zacca vecchia out you don’t risk going into the ZTL at all.

Personally, I’d go for number two as the least complicated unless you need to stick around for a little bit before leaving to the airport. You’re just returning the car rental??

As for the route coming from Siena, the only bridges you can cross that are not in the ZTL are Ponte alla Vittoria to the west and then Ponte S. Niccolò to the east. I’d take the route toward Ponte S. Niccolò which has you drive by Piazzale Michelangelo and cross the bridge and then make your way to the Biblioteca Nazionale and drop off there…. Or drive in and drop them off but then go park at a private garage close by for an hour. You don’t want to drive in and out of the ZTL to get to the garage so before I look for one that is appropriate, let me know whether you want to follow that option.

Ciao tcamp,

Unfortunately, there is no way to obtain a temp pass for just a drop off the way you would like to do.

You have two options:
- enter the ZTL, do the drop off and then drive and park at a private garage immediately after and park for an hour. Then return to pick up car and leave the ZTL. By going to the garage, they insert your car’s license plate into the white list and you shouldn’t get fined.
- or drive to the piazza right in front of the Biblioteca Nazionale and drop off luggage and MIL there, then they take a taxi the rest of the way. That piazza is the closest to your apartment right before the entrance into the ZTL and just by going back around the piazza and taking the lungarno della zacca vecchia out you don’t risk going into the ZTL at all.

Personally, I’d go for number two as the least complicated unless you need to stick around for a little bit before leaving to the airport. You’re just returning the car rental??

As for the route coming from Siena, the only bridges you can cross that are not in the ZTL are Ponte alla Vittoria to the west and then Ponte S. Niccolò to the east. I’d take the route toward Ponte S. Niccolò which has you drive by Piazzale Michelangelo and cross the bridge and then make your way to the Biblioteca Nazionale and drop off there…. Or drive in and drop them off but then go park at a private garage close by for an hour. You don’t want to drive in and out of the ZTL to get to the garage so before I look for one that is appropriate, let me know whether you want to follow that option.
This is very helpful for such a confusing challenge. Thank you!