Getting to Tuscany from Rome

irdauria

I'm planning a trip for next September for 4 people. We are flying into Rome and will spend a couple of days there. Then we want to spend 4 days in Tuscany, probably around Siena. I know we have to rent a car. I am trying to figure out the best route. 1. Rent the car in Rome and drive up to siena. 2. Take a train to a smaller town, like Orvieto or Arezzo, rent a car there and drive to our destination. Train to Florence, rent a car there. We want to do this in a way that makes the most sense economically and time wise. Thanks!

Ciao Irdauria, welcome to our forum!

I think you will need to check how much each possibility costs out, because all are valid options. I think you also need to decide whether you want to visit Florence as part of those 4 days, in that case train to Florence and then rent car makes the most sense so that you come, visit and then not have to return. If you're planning to skip Florence altogether, then you need to decide whether you're interested in stopping along the way between Rome and Siena, and that way you decide whether it makes sense to have the car earlier.
By checking rates, you get an idea of the general cost, to see how much it might impact your decision. Factor in the cost of train tickets as well.
If the cost is very similar, you'll have more options, especially as you work on your itinerary.

Feel free to post any other questions you have as you go along planning your trip, this is a fun part as well! :D

Ciao Irdauria, welcome to our forum!

I think you will need to check how much each possibility costs out, because all are valid options. I think you also need to decide whether you want to visit Florence as part of those 4 days, in that case train to Florence and then rent car makes the most sense so that you come, visit and then not have to return. If you're planning to skip Florence altogether, then you need to decide whether you're interested in stopping along the way between Rome and Siena, and that way you decide whether it makes sense to have the car earlier.
By checking rates, you get an idea of the general cost, to see how much it might impact your decision. Factor in the cost of train tickets as well.
If the cost is very similar, you'll have more options, especially as you work on your itinerary.

Feel free to post any other questions you have as you go along planning your trip, this is a fun part as well! :D
Thank you for your reply! I have compared train prices and timing, and it's about the same. I have not yet priced out rental cars. My question is if we take the train to Florence, spend the day there, then get a car and drive to Tuscany, what are we going to do with our luggage? That is why I was thinking it would be better to go to our destination first and then take our day trips. I know it's difficult to park in Florence, but is it possible to drive there and and find parking?

Great questions!
If you arrive in Florence first, you can either leave your luggage in a luggage locker (at the train station there is a deposit luggage place) and some lockers outside yet close to the station)
OR you can arrive and rent the car right away, then return to Florence. One of the best places to do this is to head to the head of the tramline T1 called Villa Costanza and park there, then catch the tram to the center of town. It's the cheapest parking at 7 euros for an entire day: https://parcheggiovillacostanza.it/it/parcheggio-villa-costanza/villa-costanza/auto/auto/
You can buy tram tickets at the stop (1,70 euro each way).

Great questions!
If you arrive in Florence first, you can either leave your luggage in a luggage locker (at the train station there is a deposit luggage place) and some lockers outside yet close to the station)
OR you can arrive and rent the car right away, then return to Florence. One of the best places to do this is to head to the head of the tramline T1 called Villa Costanza and park there, then catch the tram to the center of town. It's the cheapest parking at 7 euros for an entire day: https://parcheggiovillacostanza.it/it/parcheggio-villa-costanza/villa-costanza/auto/auto/
You can buy tram tickets at the stop (1,70 euro each way).
Thanks for the info! Lots to consider!