Grape Harvest

Joanne

Hi, I will be visiting Florence in late September wanting to experience grape harvest with winery visit, wine tasting and may be lunch too. In addition, I might stay one night in the farm or nearby accommodation. Seems very difficult to find grape harvest activity online. Please advise where to find and book them. Preferably grape harvest plus night stay in same place or nearby area. I could join a tour from Florence or arrange my own trip by renting a car. Thank you.

Ciao Joanne and welcome to our forum!

I'd like to offer an honest response to your request and tell you that you are trying to do too much in one day. Which part is the most essential for your visit? How many days total do you have? I am just trying to see whether you would have a chance to spend more than 1 night out in the countryside.

You can certainly join in on day tours from Florence that will take you to wineries and do tastings and tours. Those are easy to find on Viator, such as these (affiliate link) but, in that period, I would highly suggest spending more time in the area so that you aren't trying to fit wine tour + tastings + lunch + general experience into a day. It would just be easier to accomplish spending maybe two full days out in the countryside, without being a rush.

As for the harvest experience, two things I'd like to point out:
1. timing of grape harvest: it can start early in September and go throughout the month, or start and end quickly. There is no way to know when this will happen ahead of time because it depends on the weather and temperatures. It can also start in early August and be over by first weeks of September. But in general, you cannot go at the end of September, that's often when the first "novello" wines are out so it means the harvest is over by then. SO I'd recommend earlier in the month if you can.
2. participating in the harvest: simply put, you can't participate! That's why you aren't fining info online about it. For safety reasons, only hired people on payroll covered by insurance can participate. You can certainly stay at a winery in the right moment and be surrounded by the experience of a working farm harvesting but you cannot actually participate or go into the vineyards at that time.

So for these two reasons, I can recommend this: take a look at the various wineries in the area, then contact them first directly and ask when they think the harvest will happen at the end of the summer, telling them you're interested in being there when it happens and only then proceed with booking a stay. It might be earlier than you have planned so it might work with your plans or it might not, since I don't know if you already booked travel. Start from here: https://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-accommodation/vineyards/

Thank you so much for your reply and the associated information. They are really useful and informative.

I am interested to drive from Florence to Val d'Orcia and spend a night there. Most likely, spend a day, a night, and then depart the next morning or before noon the latest. Wonder if you could advise:

1. Where to visit on the way to and nearby Val d'Orcia?
2. Any suggestion on where to stay? Most ideally could offer a bit harvest experience (just for fun as a tourist), vinery visit and wine tasting conveniently.
3. Is it a good idea to do cycling in Val d.Orcia? If so, where about?

A million thanks in advance for your kind assistant and advice.
Joanne

Yes, biking as well as hiking in the Val d'Orcia is worth it, you get to enjoy the gorgeous landscapes up close. The ideal area to stay in since you're interested in wine and time is short would be Montepulciano. Take a look at Agriturismo Caggiole as a start: https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/agriturismo-le-caggiole.html It has both rooms and apartments, so the rooms are perfect for short stays. They have vineyards so you can arrange to visit the farm and see all that they do. There are also other wineries in the area, so you could do tastings and visits to at least another winery or two.
As for the biking, I'd first look at where you will go, if you go direct you can always ask for assistance in getting a bike so you can go around in the area, or ask about a tour if you want to go with others. Take a look at this 3 hr bike ride in the area around Montepulciano or wine tasting with lunch at a local winery (these are affiliate links).

Heading there, you could take the slower road between Florence and Siena and then the Cassia (SS2) that makes you drive through some gorgeous landscapes, from Buonconvento to San Quirico, through Pienza and on to Montepulciano. On the way back, to head back faster, take the A1 road from Montepulciano Stazione up to Florence. I wouldn't suggest too many stops along the way other than for the views before San Quirico d'Orcia and right after, you will see there when you see cars parked along the side of the road.

Wow…thank you so much for such an informative reply. I shall take a detail look at the various suggestions before I plan my route and itinerary. In case I have further question, I shall ask again and hope you could accommodate.
I deeply appreciate your kind assistance and detailed reply.
Thanks again and warmest regards,
Joanne

Wow…thank you so much for such an informative reply. I shall take a detail look at the various suggestions before I plan my route and itinerary. In case I have further question, I shall ask again and hope you could accommodate.
I deeply appreciate your kind assistance and detailed reply.
Thanks again and warmest regards,
Joanne
Hi Lourdes,
I have contacted Agriturismo Caggiole, unfortunately they have no vacancy on the day I want to visit. Wonder if you could recommend other farm house for reference. I would like to stay one night at or close to Val d’Orcia, preferably with vinery visit, wine tasting and some harvest experience if possible. Thank you.