Lunch stop between Rome and Florence by train

kellywemrich

My husband and I will be traveling from Rome to Florence on a train, but would like to make a quick stop in Tuscany (Chianti region preferably) for lunch and wine tasting. Since I am new to trains and Italy, I feel kind of lost, but would like to know if you can recommend a route, town, restaurant/winery that we can accomplish this without hiring a private driver. Or am I just crazy to think this is possible? We are only in Florence for 2-1/2 days so taking a tour from Florence does not seem feasible or reasonable to backtrack. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ciao Kelly,

What you are envisioning is quite difficult, as the train route does not go through Chianti at all, it goes around it. If you were to stop anywhere along the way, you would need a private driver to get you to somewhere that would also take you through the area so that you actually see a bit of Tuscany.

May I ask if you have more time after visiting Florence or where you are headed after? Because if you would love to have this experience of wine tasting in the area, there are many half day group tours from Florence that drive you south into Chianti, do a wine tasting or two and drive you back without lunch or with. Take a look at some here (affiliate links): Chianti wine tastings from Florence and Chianti tastings with lunch.

Let me know if you have any other questions related to Florence or Tuscany that I can help with.