What is open in Florence on May 1st?

NormaB

Hi! I will be in Florence from May 1 till May 6. I understand May 1 is a holiday (and a Sunday)! What can be visited in a holiday? I wanted to visit the Duomo, but it’s closed. Are there any museums open? Is May 2 a holiday too? Thank you!

May 1 is definitely a holiday and most museums will be closed. I am not sure if the Uffizi and Accademia will be making an exception and having a special opening on that day, it is very possible. But if they do that, we won't know until closer to the date.... for now, checking the online booking website, the date is NOT open, therefore it would seem they are both closed on May 1st. They are both usually closed every Monday, that might be why you're wondering if May 2 is also a holiday (it isn't) because they are also not showing that day for booking. But that is because they would normally be closed on Monday. All things considered, it is possible they will make a decision to do special openings on both days, considering it will be a holiday weekend.

The one that is always open on May 1st, on the other hand, is Palazzo Strozzi and right now they have the special Donatello exhibition, which I already visited and highly recommend, especially if you love sculpture. Part of the exhibit is also at the Bargello museum, which will be closed on May 1st, but if you go to Palazzo Strozzi, keep your ticket to get a discount at the Bargello if you go on any of the following days. The Bargello is open on May 2nd, which I confirm is NOT a holiday so anything usually open on that day will be open.

As far as the Duomo (cathedral), since it is a Sunday it is closed because of worship and other religious services. But you can still visit the other sites, as well as climb up to the top of the dome from 12.45pm to late afternoon -- check hours here: https://operaduomofirenze.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/support/service
and you can buy tickets here: https://operaduomofirenze.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/buy
the new passes are set up by the monuments you want to visit and last 3 days, so you can choose when to activate the pass and then go back to visit a different place on different days, if you don't want to do them all at once. The dome, the bell tower, the museum and baptistery will all be open on Sunday (the crypt is also open for a few hours in the early afternoon on Sundays).

Despite most of the other city and state museums being closed, between Palazzo Strozzi and the monuments around the cathedral I believe you'll have enough to choose from on May 1st! :)

Thank you so much Lourdes! This is great information. There are plenty of things to do on Sunday. We’ll probably visit the Palazzo Strozzi and climb the dome and bell tower.

On Monday, we are thinking about taking an all-day tour to Pisa, Siena, and San Gimignano. Do you know of any tour company that you can recommend? I’m general, I don’t do tours; but I am afraid to run out of time! Too many places to visit in 4 and 1/2 days.. Thank you!

You're very welcome! Yes, time will be short, if you want to fit more things in a day, the tours are actually a great way since they take care of the transportation. I also don't normally do tours, but sometimes they are convenient under particular circumstances, especially limited time. It really depends on what you want to do, and if you don't mind a day or two that is quite long.

Personally, I haven't done the day in Tuscany tour that includes Pisa but did opt to try out the one that does San Gimignano, Chianti and Siena. I did it so that I can personally experience these tours and then be able to talk about them from having done them. ;-) While this one was a long day, it did allow the possibility to get a taste of the various places without feeling stressed out about how to get to these places. I know a lot of people don't want to worry about driving, and when time is short, it doesn't make sense to worry about renting a car, the restricted traffic areas, where to park, etc. If you were to do visit these places on your own, I would definitely suggest you give yourself more time and not try to do them all in a day, but when you don't have that time, the tour helps in various ways, including the fact that this one made a stop at a winery with wine tastings and I didn't have to worry about whether I could drive or not!
Here's my review: https://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-tours/tuscany-one-day-tour-siena-san-gimignano-chianti.html

You can find the day tour with Pisa here: https://tours-discovertuscany.partn...n-Gimignano-and-Siena-with-Lunch/d519-5919P23 (affiliate link)

I would suggest you mix your days, if you decide to do one of the guided tours, try to take it easy the following day. You definitely don't want to do too much either, that you end up remembering the days as a blur and not experiencing fully what you see. I know it is difficult, considering the travel time and limited time, but it is always better to visit Italy thinking that you might one day return to see what you miss. It will make it easier to enjoy all you do, even if it isn't everything on your list. Also consider that while Italy is small, relatively speaking, it is very concentrated in sights, one on top of the other, it can be overwhelming if you don't make a selection.