Where to base ourselves after Florence

HelenL

Hi there
We are coming to Tuscany for 10 days in Sept flying in/out of Pisa. We have 3 nights booked in Florence after which we are planning to rent a car and ideally find a second location to base ourselves for a week. We have our 2 adult kids coming with us (22 and 18) so ideally we would like to be in/close to a town for eating out and things to do but we need somewhere with a pool.

I had thought about Viareggio on the coast or maybe Volterra but I would welcome any advice! We definitely want to be able to visit Siena, Chianti, and the other key areas so within a hour or so of travel. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Ciao Helen,

Both Viareggio and Volterra would be good bases, I think where you end up depends mostly on what you and your adult children want to do on a daily basis. For example, do you just want to hang out and relax at your place by the pool, or plan on spending every day out and about exploring as well? Do you want a mix? Do you want to explore during the day but also want night life? That's a big one if you all want to be out and about AFTER dinner.

Viareggio and the Versilia in general are known for being more alive at night, with discos and bars open by the seafront. It permits the kids to head out on their own without the need of the car if you base yourself right in town.

If you base yourself in the countryside, then you will be more likely have more peaceful evenings. It would require a car to head out to somewhere since most places can be outside of the city center, unless you specifically choose something in a town. I think the hard part is being in a town with the pool requirement. Most places with a pool are not in town, at least they need a lot more space.

Also consider if you want to spend time in Chianti, Siena and the Val d'Orcia (to the south of Siena), then maybe it makes more sense to base yourself in the middle of that area, maybe in Siena itself or just in outskirts to get that pool. Actually, a place just came to mind: Villa le Tortore is just outside Siena and has pool. Walking distance into the center too! There you go :D