Wondering where to stay for 2 nights before heading to Amalfi

Leighsouth

We are staying in Florence for 4 nights upon arrival, and then in an Agriturismo outside of San Gimignano for one week , and renting a car to tour around. We have decided to spend our last week on the Amalfi coast (likely Praiano as it's less busy). My question is, we will have 1 or 2 nights to spend before heading south, and would prefer to stay somewhere that has access to a train, but still small. Thought Chiusi, possibly, but we are open to suggestions. Looking at the least amount of travel time. Thanks

Ciao Leigh, good to hear back from you!
I am not sure I understand your question though. Least amount of travel time... at what point? From wherever you stay overnight to heading down south? I imagine you'll be taking train down to Praiano, right? Where do you plan to drop off the car after you're done with it?
If you want to stay in a small town with train access, I highly recommend Arezzo. It has a small town feel and give you a chance to see it, as long as you're not there the first weekend of the month it is not generally on people's itineraries and is very enjoyable.

Ciao Leigh, good to hear back from you!
I am not sure I understand your question though. Least amount of travel time... at what point? From wherever you stay overnight to heading down south? I imagine you'll be taking train down to Praiano, right? Where do you plan to drop off the car after you're done with it?
If you want to stay in a small town with train access, I highly recommend Arezzo. It has a small town feel and give you a chance to see it, as long as you're not there the first weekend of the month it is not generally on people's itineraries and is very enjoyable.
Hi Lourdes.
We will be dropping our car either in San Gimignano, or Siena. There is a rental agency in San G. that we have considered renting from, but we had also thought to rent from Florence, do our touring around, then drop in Siena. I guess what we are aiming for is the least amount of transfers etc. with the trains.
Thanks so much for your help:)

Well if you're trying to make it convenient, drop off the car where you can get then get train access directly. Chiusi is possible but Arezzo would be better. Florence would also be good.
I'd not recommend SG or Siena, as then to get train service south would be more complicated.... you'd need to get back to Florence first from SG or take smaller trains from Siena ti Chiusi and then transfer trains to head down.

We had also looked at Orvieto as a possibility. It looks interesting, and has a train station. Have you been there?

Leigh

Yes, Orvieto would also be good! It is small but has a cool cathedral and I remember going into one of the restaurants in the square that has a wine cellar in the tuff rock, super neat.