9 Days in Tuscany - by train & bus

Hello and thankyou for this great forum!

My wife and I will be visiting Tuscany for 9 days in October this year. We have visited Italy many times including several times in recent years (we're recently retired and very lucky to be able to travel several times each year!). We've visited all of the "big cities" (well big by Italian standards) including Florence three times, and our approach on the last few trips to Italy has been to base ourselves in smaller regional cities or large towns and visit nearby cities, towns, villages and sights by train and/or bus as day trips. This seems to work well 'cause as we all know - if you dro pa pin in Google maps almost anywhere in Italy, you land on something beautiful! :)

Our ideal day on this sort of itinerary shapes as starting straight after breakfast to travel 60mins max reaching a place, exploring till lunchtime, having lunch in some lovely little village restaurant, exploring more in the afternoon (possibly with a nice walk to nearby attractions or nature of say 10-15km max round trip), then heading back to our base camp for dinner (and to rest feet! :D).

For this trip, we will arrive in Pisa airport in the middle of the day, stay in Tuscany for the 9 days then move on to Roma (and beyond). We've visisted Pisa before so we don't feel a huge need to stop there, so the plan is to get right on a train on that first day and head to our first base..

Whew! - So with that in mind, our thinking is to split the itineray into two stays - one in Lucca and one in Siena, spending at least a full day discovering those cities and then the remaining time travelling nearby to visit towns, villages and nature.

How does that sound? Would it be better to break it into three stays giving us more flexibility to see a wider range of places?

Thanks in anticipation!

Hello and thankyou for this great forum!

My wife and I will be visiting Tuscany for 9 days in October this year. We have visited Italy many times including several times in recent years (we're recently retired and very lucky to be able to travel several times each year!). We've visited all of the "big cities" (well big by Italian standards) including Florence three times, and our approach on the last few trips to Italy has been to base ourselves in smaller regional cities or large towns and visit nearby cities, towns, villages and sights by train and/or bus as day trips. This seems to work well 'cause as we all know - if you dro pa pin in Google maps almost anywhere in Italy, you land on something beautiful! :)

Our ideal day on this sort of itinerary shapes as starting straight after breakfast to travel 60mins max reaching a place, exploring till lunchtime, having lunch in some lovely little village restaurant, exploring more in the afternoon (possibly with a nice walk to nearby attractions or nature of say 10-15km max round trip), then heading back to our base camp for dinner (and to rest feet! :D).

For this trip, we will arrive in Pisa airport in the middle of the day, stay in Tuscany for the 9 days then move on to Roma (and beyond). We've visisted Pisa before so we don't feel a huge need to stop there, so the plan is to get right on a train on that first day and head to our first base..

Whew! - So with that in mind, our thinking is to split the itineray into two stays - one in Lucca and one in Siena, spending at least a full day discovering those cities and then the remaining time travelling nearby to visit towns, villages and nature.

How does that sound? Would it be better to break it into three stays giving us more flexibility to see a wider range of places?

Thanks in anticipation!
I'd recommend two stays, Lucca & Siena. I'd also recommend adding bicycling to the means of transportation, particularly in Lucca. There is nothing more memorable than riding the wall of Lucca by bike. There are many places in town to rent them.

I agree with your plan and Uomo Grasso agrees - both Lucca and Siena are great bases considering you will be depending on buses and trains. We just spent a weekend in Lucca and most definitely the bike rental to tour around the city on the Renaissance walls was the top rated activity by our 3 kids!! We're planning on doing Siena next, hopefully sometime next month.

Both have good connections to do day trips. Have you ever been to Cinque Terre? That's the other alternative to adding a third base, as it is easy to reach by train and gives you 5 towns to explore over 2 or 3 days.

From Lucca, you can do several day trips nearby - https://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca/easy-one-day-itineraries-around-lucca.html
In addition, I would suggest the villa of Marlia, it's pretty neat and reachable by bus: https://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca/villa-reale-marlia-near-lucca.html.

From Siena, take a look at this article: https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/what-to-do/day-trips-from-siena.html

I agree with your plan and Uomo Grasso agrees - both Lucca and Siena are great bases considering you will be depending on buses and trains. We just spent a weekend in Lucca and most definitely the bike rental to tour around the city on the Renaissance walls was the top rated activity by our 3 kids!! We're planning on doing Siena next, hopefully sometime next month.

Both have good connections to do day trips. Have you ever been to Cinque Terre? That's the other alternative to adding a third base, as it is easy to reach by train and gives you 5 towns to explore over 2 or 3 days.

From Lucca, you can do several day trips nearby - https://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca/easy-one-day-itineraries-around-lucca.html
In addition, I would suggest the villa of Marlia, it's pretty neat and reachable by bus: https://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca/villa-reale-marlia-near-lucca.html.

From Siena, take a look at this article: https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/what-to-do/day-trips-from-siena.html
Hi

Thanks for your reply!

Yes we had a stay in Cinque Terre on another trip and it was wonderful.

Looks like my plan will be good and thanks for the day trip and activity suggestions.

Cheers John