9 days in Tuscany

Thank you for sharing this extra information with us, it is very useful and interesting to know.

You're right about the wines - there are so many small vintners in Chianti and Tuscany that are pretty good and it is impossible that many wineries unless you only do that... but it is interesting to note your impressions about that label.

With the holidays coming up soon, I think I need to go do some shopping! ;-) good to know about the hours and bus loads of tourists, thanks!!

Realised I didn't reply to your questionon driving.

We rented a car that could fit 4 x 26" suitcases rather than a compact car and ended up with a Peugeot station-wagon, manual drive. Coming from a country used to auto transmission and driving on the "wrong" side of the road, this sounds pretty suicidal. One of us took the challenge of driving and she did such a good job that we did not take turns at all. Manouvering the car all over Tuscany is fairly easy, the trick is not to give in to the temptation to speed. Parking in some of the designated parking lots in some of the towns with a station wagon is difficult but we managed. We got our car through your recommendation and the car was through Maggiore - they allowed us to change the drop off location in Florence itself at no extra charge.

xx Soo

Wow, driving on the other side of the road does take a lot of courage, and the manual transmission also takes a bit to get used to. Definitely things to keep in mind when considering to rent aborad or not....
Am glad you all managed pretty well, in particular for parking with the bigger car. Glad overall everything turned out well in the end!!