Cameras NOT Allowed

I was actually thinking about that.... because officially the Polo Museale has yet to publish anything about it allowing pics to be taken at the Uffizi or Accademia, and they are allowed now. What we have published on here so far has been what we have seen from personal experience and I have not been to the Palatina since they started allowing pics at the other museums. So I am not 100% sure how to reply but since I am planning to go back and visit all of the museums over the next 2 months, I'll likely have an answer for you Joao before you come in December! ;)

Galleria Palatina

Dear Lourdes and Chiara.

Here is the answer I received this morning from the Polo Museale about this question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning,

in the Palatina gallery, as in all the state museums, is now possible to take picture.

If you want to take pictures to publish them you have to ask for the soprintendenza authorization

Best wishes

Daniela Cresti

Segreteria Direzione

Galleria Palatina

Thank YOU guys for such amazing support.

Now I want your opinions, as long as I will have to make choices...hehe
Between Palazzo Vecchio and Palazzo Pitti- Galleria Palatina, I have chosen for the Pitti. Now I will have to choose between Cappelle Medicee and Cappella Brancacci. I know, I know, they have nothing to do with each other, but I will have to chose between them. What is the "unmissable" one? I have some inclination for the Brancacci, but I want your opinions.

Grazie mille ancora.

:) Glad to be of help!

That's a hard one too - I think you'll have to decide between painting (frescoes in Brancacci) and sculpture/architecture (the Chapels main thing to see are the funereal marble monuments by Michelangelo and the beautiful stone inlays in the Chapel of the Princes). So depending on your main interest, I'd choose that way.

In that day the plans are Galleria dell'Accademia (9:00am) and Galleria Palatina (afternoon)... I really don't know where to go...hehehe

I have to say that the Accademia Gallery is not super enormous and neither are the Medici Chapels - so are you planning on getting the Firenze Card? How many days will you be in Florence total?

If you get the Firenze card, then all the museums are included..... you can wait and see what time you come out of the Accademia that morning. If you have time, go to the Medici Chapels before lunch!

Then have a quick lunch in the area, there are many places around the San Lorenzo area (I also recommend checking out the 1st floor of the Mercato Centrale for lunch) before heading to the Oltrano.

Just note that the Brancacci chapels require a reservation - the only reason is that it is a small space and visits are for 15 minutes to each group of persons. The chapel is closed on Tuesdays and closes at 5pm (ticket office closes 45 min before that). So as soon as you head over to the Oltrano, head here first, see if you can go in with the next group and, if not, sign up for a specific time later on. That way you can head over to the Palatina and enjoy more time over there. Spend the evening in the area and dinner around Santo Spirito - there are so many good restaurants in this area, you can't choose wrong. But like UomoGrasso said, there are so many shops and workshops, it would be good to spend some time there roaming around the streets too, if you can!

Hi Lourdes and UomoGrasso,

No, I won't buy the Firenze card. I will be in Florence in december, from 25 to 28th.
Christmas day I'll visit Piazzale Michelangelo, San Miniato Al Monte, Santa Trinità and Santa Maria Novella. I bought already the tickets to Accademia (26) and Uffizi (28), both of them in the early morning. I will combine Uffizi with Santa Croce, that opens at 2pm. Maybe, if I have money and disposition, I'll visit Palazzo Vecchio, cause in that day it is opened till midnight, but I'm not sure about it. Accademia I will combine with Galleria Palatina in the afternoon, but as Accademia isn't a huge museum, I would like to visit Cappelle Medicee or Cappella Brancacci too. The day 27, I will make an excursion through Tuscany with Caftours, that will take all day long. I don't know if I visit Cappelle Medicee because I would have seen Michelangelo statues in Accademia minutes before and I don't know if I visit Brancacci, because I would have seen chapels full of amazing frescoes in Santa Maria Novella the day before and it's expensive to a very short visit, however, the chapel has a huge importance to Renaissance. So, that's my almost done Florence itinerary. Any help or suggestion is more then welcome.

Thanks a lot.

João.

Last edited:
You will have 3 really packed days, I understand trying to fit as much as possible in the limited time you have, so my advice for the Medici Chapels, Palazzo Vecchio and Brancacci chapel is definitely to just wait till you are here and see whether you feel like another museum. After the Uffizi and Accademia and Palatina, you might just have too much "art" and "museum" overload.

As far as the 25th, as it will be Christmas you're right in focusing on the ones that are open... but also don't try to fit too much. Just keep in mind the hours...
I'd suggest San Miniato in the morning, and thus Piazzale Michelangelo too (even if it is great to see the sunset from up there) just because I highly suggest you go to San Miniato around 10am when the service is in Gregorian chant.
Here are the other opening hours for the other 2 churches - they are the "festivita' / holiday" hours.
Santa Trinita: 8-10.45 and 16-18
SMN: 13:00 - 17:00

Now that you are speaking, I start thinking that Accademia, Palatina and Uffizi are too much for 2 days...hehe. Would you suggest me to exclude Palazzo PItti?

Uomo Grasso has explained it perfectly! Keep that as a tentative itinerary, you don't need to buy any other tickets ahead of time - and once you're here, see how you things go, whether you are tired of museums and art and want to spend more time outdoors or whether you want to continue the journey into Florence's magnificent art and history. No need to set anything in stone, just be open to change and be flexible! Especially as regards the food - enjoy longer meals and people-watching too! ;-)