Cycling around Tuscany —*Interesting Diversions?

Gareth

Myself and a friend are cycling Pisa > Florence, Florence > Siena, Siena > Follonica, Follonica > Pisa. Starting this coming Sunday.

We've created a route which seems leisurely and calm, and now we're tweaking it to add in lovely villages/towns/landmarks that people are suggesting.

I wondered, if anyone has time, with knowledge of Tuscany if you could suggest any recommendations? I've attached the route below, maybe you see some places worth us adding?

ridewithgps.com/routes/28397555

Thank you in advance, folks :)

Gareth

Cycling -

Buongiorno,

I can't comment on the biking route - because I am not a biker (in any way shape or form :cool:) But I can make a few comments about places to stop.

Pisa - to Florence:
You pedal right through Calci...defintiely an interesting visit.
https://www.discovertuscany.com/pisa/certosa-di-calci.html

Florence to Siena:

Bar Giambi is a favorite of mine in Strada - the pastries and coffee are good, but the terraces is fantastic!
Castellina in Chianti would be my first choice for a stop, great little town - Etruscan ruins are located on the way out towards Radda in Chianti - no ticket, just a quick stop would be enough.

Siena to Follonica:
Try and make time to visit Sovicille, great information center with lots of info on little treats to see in the area. They often participate in the forum, so they might chime in with a few suggestions.

Follonica to Pisa,

I see you are staying close to the coast, but you might not want to miss Bolgheri, or one of my favorite little places, Casale Marittimo.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

You pedal right through Calci...defintiely an interesting visit.

Yes - you'll have noticed we go out our way to go up a hill to get a view that is not to be missed apparently!

I see you are staying close to the coast, but you might not want to miss Bolgheri, or one of my favorite little places, Casale Marittimo.

Great tip! I've added into the route! https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28443325

Thank you - any more tips welcome!

You are already passing through a lot of neat and charming towns so I suppose you'll be making lots of stops, are you not sure which ones to really stop at?
I would also suggest Vinci, Montefioralle (if you want the uphill challenge, it is a steep 1 km climb right before you enter Greve and the views are gorgeous), the Abbey of San Galgano, Massa Marittima, Bolgheri (but speficially take the road of cypresses that lead there from San Guido, straight and flat).
From after Cecina, how about heading toward Vada and following the road along the coast? You're following the vecchia Aurelia up the coast and it isn't exactly the best road I'd do on bikes, as it is a busy road. The coastal road is a little less busy and scenic.

You are already passing through a lot of neat and charming towns so I suppose you'll be making lots of stops, are you not sure which ones to really stop at?
I would also suggest Vinci, Montefioralle (if you want the uphill challenge, it is a steep 1 km climb right before you enter Greve and the views are gorgeous), the Abbey of San Galgano, Massa Marittima, Bolgheri (but speficially take the road of cypresses that lead there from San Guido, straight and flat).
From after Cecina, how about heading toward Vada and following the road along the coast? You're following the vecchia Aurelia up the coast and it isn't exactly the best road I'd do on bikes, as it is a busy road. The coastal road is a little less busy and scenic.

Wow - amazing advice, thank you so much! Especially the coastal part. I've changed this now. Thanks for pointing out the roads to avoid.

Gareth