Disability

JDAdams

I will be visiting Tuscany in September. Unfortunately, I have a disability, a prosthetic on my left leg. How much difficulty do you believe I may encounter?

Ciao there JD, welcome to our forum!

I'll admit many of the streets are not easy to navigate when one has a disability, even a temporary one, such as crutches, or with wheelchairs. There are many streets that are uneven, for one reason or another, including cobblestones that are are uneven or with holes. I am talking of the pedestrian areas where most of the area is for walking. In some areas, the sidewalks are worse than the streets so you'll find it easier to go on the paved street than on the sidewalk. We live on a street, for example, where all the driveways that cross the sidewalk go to cobblestone. I don't know why! So the sidewalk is smooth, then a driveway comes up and it's rough. At times with a stroller or shopping cart, it is easier to go on the street!

Also important to note that Florence is mostly flat, so is Pisa and Lucca, while Siena and most towns in Chianti sit on top of hills. Siena sits over several hills actually, so walking around means going up and down - unless you know that a parallel street is still on the same hill and means less of a climb!

Having said that, whether you will find it difficult to walk around will depends more on how much you usually walk, rather than just the fact that you have a prosthetic. The unevenness of some streets/sidewalks can be overcome by going on the alternate option, by crossing the street or even taking a different street to your destination i.e. taking a parallel street if you encounter one with lots of unevenness. But the historical center of most towns are closed off to most traffic and are pedestrian, thus making walking around the easiest and best way to see all of the sights. It is quite easy to head out and walk around downtown Florence and it a short time have walked 5-10km! It won't seem like it, but one walks around a lot in circles. If you're used to walking a lot on your prosthetic leg, then you might be fine overall! You are ultimately a better judge in how much you push yourself on any of the days you are here; you can plan for having some sort of aid, in case you believe it might be too difficult, like a wheelchair to give your leg a break. There are places here that rent them, some for free but they are not electric. You'll need arm strength or a partner to help you push.

Hope this helps, let me know any additional doubts or questions you have!