Florence to Pisa

paige.1116

Hi There! I read about the tram/buses and how the tickets can be used in both Florence and Pisa, but it didn't specify if the trams/buses go between the cities. I am planning to buy a 10-pack of the tickets but don't know if I need something separate to get to Pisa from Florence or if there is a tram/bus that is included that goes between the two cities. Thanks in advance for any help!

Ciao!

Yes, it is much easier now because there is one company across all buses/trams in the region.

Here is the website on the AT bus company website that explains the tickets - https://www.at-bus.it/en/ticket

but it basically boils down to this:
--> if you're traveling WITHIN a city, you use the URBANO ticket. Both Florence and Pisa are main towns in their province, so they use the URBANO capoluogo ticket which costs 1.70 euro (you can see the list of towns listed)
--> if you're traveling BETWEEN cities, you use the EXTRAURBANO ticket.

You cannot buy the 10 tickets that are a mix of urbano and extraurbano, so it might make more sense to buy tickets as you need them. The savings of buying the carnet of 10 tickets is quite small.

The website has a trip planner that will tell you what buses to take between your destinations.

Between Pisa and Florence, I would actually suggest taking the TRAIN - there are trains from SMN in Florence to Pisa Centrale every half hour and take about an hour, they do cost more around 10 euros but buses take over 2 hours, so it is faster to take the train.
So you can buy urbano tickets to use within Florence or within Pisa, then use the train to move between Florence and Pisa.

Thank you! That was a great explanation. I was originally looking at the train but thought if the bus tickets included than maybe do that but it does seem now that I will stick with the train for between and urbano tickets for in the cities. Thanks again!
Ciao!

Yes, it is much easier now because there is one company across all buses/trams in the region.

Here is the website on the AT bus company website that explains the tickets - https://www.at-bus.it/en/ticket

but it basically boils down to this:
--> if you're traveling WITHIN a city, you use the URBANO ticket. Both Florence and Pisa are main towns in their province, so they use the URBANO capoluogo ticket which costs 1.70 euro (you can see the list of towns listed)
--> if you're traveling BETWEEN cities, you use the EXTRAURBANO ticket.

You cannot buy the 10 tickets that are a mix of urbano and extraurbano, so it might make more sense to buy tickets as you need them. The savings of buying the carnet of 10 tickets is quite small.

The website has a trip planner that will tell you what buses to take between your destinations.

Between Pisa and Florence, I would actually suggest taking the TRAIN - there are trains from SMN in Florence to Pisa Centrale every half hour and take about an hour, they do cost more around 10 euros but buses take over 2 hours, so it is faster to take the train.
So you can buy urbano tickets to use within Florence or within Pisa, then use the train to move between Florence and Pisa.