Free Churches in Florence

CocoPazzo

Do you have a listing that shows the various churches in Florence that do not charge admission fees, such as Badia, Sant Ambrogio, SS Annunziata, Santo Spirito, that are worth a quick viewing? Grazie mille!

The cathedral for sure!! Santo Spirito and SS Annunziata di merit a stop when you’re in the area, the others you mention have weird opening hours and not sure I’d include making your way out to them just because they’re free. I do recommend San Miniato al Monte!!
Of course, Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce do merit a visit but both charge entry fees.

Oh and here’s our list of things to do and see in Florence for free:

Thanks, I'll check out you Florence for Free link.

Also sorry, guess I was unclear. I've been to Florence as a tourist perhaps ten times, and visited almost everything included in the Firenze Pass, some several times (e.g. Santa Croce). Was hoping that you might have suggestions for some of the other churches that are not visited as often by those on the three day Florence tour. Keep hoping that one of my visits will allow me to view ALL of the cenacola, which will take a bit of luck or a few weeks, with an eye to their irregular opening times.

I was going to recommend the various Cenacoli, in fact! Not all are open (for example, the Fuligno one is inaccessible) but there are two in Santa Croce now to be seen, so you'll have to go back if you haven't been recently.

When are you visiting? I can check some opening times but would also recommend you visit the Brancacci chapel again if you've already been, because they are doing restoration and have you go up the scaffolding to see everything eye level, it is pretty awesome!

A hidden gem is the Chiostro dello Scalzo near San Marco. I have to check opening times to see if they are still correct but in the meantime here's the page with more info: https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-museums/chiostro-dello-scalzo.html

Thanks. Barring any change in plans, hope to revisit Bella Firenze in early November, and will definitely consider your suggestions, esp. the Brancacci Chapel. (A favorite). Scaffolding and restoration drew me back to the Basilica di San Francesco in Arezzo a few years back for a very memorable and closer look.

it seems we've unlocked the secrets of Florence's church tour! The Duomo, Santo Spirito, and Santissima Annunziata shine like stars in the Tuscan sky, while the other churches play a game of hide-and-seek with their opening hours. No need to go on a wild goose chase just because they're free! 😉 San Miniato al Monte offers the grand panorama that will leave you floored, and while Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce may charge a fee, their artistic treasures are a splurge for your soul! Happy church-hopping in the enchanting city of Florence! 🇮🇹

Last edited:
We've cracked the code for exploring Florence's churches! Some are easily accessible like the Duomo, Santo Spirito, and Santissima Annunziata, while others have unpredictable hours. Don't chase them down just because they're free! 😉 San Miniato al Monte offers a stunning view, and Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce may charge, but their art is worth it. Enjoy your church-hopping in Florence!

Last edited: