Grosseto

Rightio

l am looking for a base for 5 days in June next year in Southern Tuscany. We have biked and visited Val d’Orcia which we loved. This time I will be solo and without a car but I like jumping on a bus/train or hiring a bike to explore. I thought maybe Grosseto because it seems to be a town where there will be plenty of places to eat and stay. Thoughts on Grosseto or other options?

Grosseto is a good choice considering it is near the coast if you want to rent a bike and bike around the area, but most small towns are on top of hills so you will do a good amount of climbing hills. Also, while there are places to eat, the coast is even more popular and that is prime beach time so most everyone will be at the beach. Maybe you can consider basing yourself along the train route but closer to the coast - Castiglione della Pescaia and Follonica could be good choices. You could also consider staying further north, near Piombino or even Livorno. Depends on what you want to do in general, other than biking.