Help returning car rental to Piazza della Staziona, Santa Maria Novella station avoiding the ZTL

JebBak

Hi. In September I'll be returning a car to a Car Rental office on Piazza della Staziona, Florence from San Gimignnano. If anyone can help with directions that avoid me driving into the ZTL I'd appreciate it :)

Plus if anyone has an idea of how long the process of returning a car takes it Italy that'd really help too - in planning what train to book from the Station. Is it just a case of handing over the keys or is it more complex.

Last edited:
Ciao Jeb,

Ok first part is easy - there is only one route you can take and that is from the viali to get on via Santa Caterinca d'Alessandria and go down Via Nazionale - here is the map: https://maps.app.goo.gl/5AfberAVds7FuKgH8

The second one varies on who else is there in line waiting to drop off. You really want the people to go out and check there is no damage on the rental before leaving, and you don't want to be in a big hurry. I would say give yourself at least 15 minutes for the process, but if you have several people in front of you waiting to return or pick up rentals, it could take longer or even less.
You can buy most train tickets on the fly - where are you going to next? Because you could choose to wait and buy tickets once you're done, that way there is no stress about catching a specific train.