How do I pick which wineries to visit for tasting?

Corylus

Hi, we will be there in May and I don't know where to start when deciding which wineries to visit. I see a lot of available tours but am not sure what the difference is.

1. Do you highly recommend a tour? Besides the driver being able to drink freely & not needing to worry about the roads and directions, does a tour make a big difference? Also, should we get a guided driven tour or are individual tours (where we drive ourselves to the winery & participate in the tour) sufficient?

2. If we wanted to do it on our own, how should we decide where to go and what are the differences?

3. Is winery visiting generally better on a weekday or on a weekend?

4. Do you think we should do wineries in between visits to Siena or maybe dedicate a whole day to wineries?

Please advise, thank you!!

Wine Tasting

Buongiorno,

If you want to do it on your own, then organize one winery a day so that you can fully appreciate and drink just a bit. Best choice is one with a meal attached, or combined with cheese and local products. This way you cuold hit a different area, while touring different towns.

Chianti - a Chianti winery (Viticcio)

Siena and a winery in Val d'Orcia or Montalcino (just recently went to visit Casata Prime Donne)

Montepulciano and Vino Nobile

However, if you like the idea of being a "bit carefree" then by all means - take a tour, and if you are a group you might appreciate getting a NCC (driver with car) and then just sit back and enjoy! If you decide to do that let me know, and I will share a few more of my favorite vineyards. ;-)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

meal + wine places

Thanks Donna! :)

Yes please - we have not booked a car so we are open to considering tours or NCCs. It would be appreciated if you could suggest your favourites. Also, if you have a favourite place for a lunch + wine tasting / dinner around the area - that would be good too.

Thank you again!