Moving to Tuscany for a couple of years, and who knows, could become permanent. Starting as temporary resident :)

Margaret

I am planing on retiring in Tuscany in 2026. I know it sounds too far down the road. For me time and prep, is a must. Outside Florence, I am interested in renting a 1 private bedroom and bathroom, utilities, wifi, gas, electricity, all tax included, if possible (air-conditioning included but not a priority). I will be using public transportation, I shop for local food items, love farmers market. I have dual citizenship European and USA. I welcome any personal experience that you might have with moving from USA to Italy (Tuscany). All your ideas will be taken in consideration. Thanks in advance. Margaret

Ciao Margaret and welcome to our forum! Hope we can use this platform to build up a conversation, 2026 isn't too far down the road actually, it does take planning and careful consideration to make such a move. The fact you already have EU citizenship will make all the paperwork and bureaucracy much easier, although be prepared for things to always take longer than you think they will take. I'm talking of anything and everything! :D Then you can be pleasantly surprised when they happen faster!

First, have you already been to Florence and Tuscany? If you have, do you already have any place or area in mind? I ask because Florence is expensive to live in, while towns nearby are used by a lot of commuters to come into work every day so not as cheap ad you'd think. There are a lot of connections in public transport to facilitate that in some areas but not in others. Considering you don't plan to drive, you most certainly need to put that high on the list as you select areas in which to focus your search.

Also, you say a "temporary" place - how temporary at first? Because places that might have everything included are rented as short term and cost more than places that are rented by the year but which more often than not do not include utilities or wi-fi. You can also consider that you start with a short term rental and then once you're hear look for something you love, considering you will be able to visit and see.

Ok, I think that's enough to get started. Look forward to hearing your thoughts up to now!

Ciao Margaret and welcome to our forum! Hope we can use this platform to build up a conversation, 2026 isn't too far down the road actually, it does take planning and careful consideration to make such a move. The fact you already have EU citizenship will make all the paperwork and bureaucracy much easier, although be prepared for things to always take longer than you think they will take. I'm talking of anything and everything! :D Then you can be pleasantly surprised when they happen faster!

First, have you already been to Florence and Tuscany? If you have, do you already have any place or area in mind? I ask because Florence is expensive to live in, while towns nearby are used by a lot of commuters to come into work every day so not as cheap ad you'd think. There are a lot of connections in public transport to facilitate that in some areas but not in others. Considering you don't plan to drive, you most certainly need to put that high on the list as you select areas in which to focus your search.

Also, you say a "temporary" place - how temporary at first? Because places that might have everything included are rented as short term and cost more than places that are rented by the year but which more often than not do not include utilities or wi-fi. You can also consider that you start with a short term rental and then once you're hear look for something you love, considering you will be able to visit and see.

Ok, I think that's enough to get started. Look forward to hearing your thoughts up to now!
Ciao Lourdes, soooo nice to hear back from you. Now I have a connection in Italy! Yes, 2026 is my year for moving forward with my life. I won't need to work in Italy. I grew up in France, I have been in California for many years. In addicting to English I speak French, Spanish and Portuguese. I am retiring, renting a small apartment or just a private furnished bedroom and bathroom on a long term rental agreement (1 year) makes sense. I have Medicare Dental and Vision in California, I am planing on purchasing a Travel Insurance for 1 year, ( just for the move) If I can renew it for another year without traveling back to USA I will do. I own my house, I will rent it during my stay in Italy. To answer your question I spent some vacation time in Florence, Venice, Rome, and Milan, but not enough to have an idea about moving in for a year. I am spending 9 nights in Florence this summer, arriving on 7/24 leaving on 8/3 to France for another 5 weeks. Renting a place for 1 year, outside Florence would be possible, I welcome your expertise. What would you recommend? I am looking forward to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to read my email. Margaret.

Moving from the US to Italy is a big step, but with proper planning, it can be incredibly rewarding. When I made the move a while back, I found that researching multiple moving companies helped me get a clearer picture of the costs involved.
Hi Wortilla, Thanks for your input. My plan is to rent a 1 year furnished apartment somewhere pleasant in Tuscany, with a good public transportation system. I won't be working, no need to own a car. I will live there for 1 year, come back to USA to visit family and friends, and go back and forth as pleased. Are you a permanent resident now? I have double citizenship EU and USA. I will use my EU citizenship, to establish in Italy. Any information from you is more than welcome. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Moving to Tuscany must be so exciting. As someone who's moved around a bit, I can tell you it's a great opportunity to experience new things and grow as a person. One thing I'd recommend is to immerse yourself in the local culture. Learn the language, try the local cuisine, and get to know the people. It'll make your experience so much richer and help you feel more at home. If you need any help with the move, you might want to check out https://discountmoving.ca/ . They could have some tips or services that could make the process smoother for you. Who knows, maybe Tuscany will become your new permanent home!

Last edited: