Orvieto or Chiusi to Panzano by Car -- Help Needed!

Hello!
My husband and I are going to be travelling from Rome to Panzano in Chianti this August.

In order to avoid renting a car in Rome, we will take the train from Rome to either Orvieto or Chiusi. Then rent a car in one of those two towns.

That being said, which travel route do you suggest to Panzano -- Is one road option prettier than the other? Is one more difficult to drive than the other?? I am very nervous about driving in Italy but it seems we have no other way to explore Tuscany.

I thought it would be nice to stop in a town for lunch on the way to Panzano -- any recommendations? Pienza maybe?? I love cheese lol

Thank you in advance,
Stephanie

where to stop for lunch

Buongiorno,

OMGoodness - as the Italians would say “imbarazzo della scelta!” (there are too many to choose from). First thing to know is that BOTH Orvieto and Chiusi could fill an afternoon, Orvieto is a much larger town but they are both worth a visit and a stroll about the city center...and if you are so inclined, indulge in one of the underground tours in either one of the towns - fascinating.

If you are driving up to Panzano, my suggestion is to go towards the “Cassia” SR2 - and drive it up to Siena, (believe me this is the road where half the photos of Val d’Orcia are shot) then you will change to the Florence/Siena highway “raccordo autostrada” and get off the San Donato exit. You can take an alternate route from Siena (SS222)...but I would leave that for another day when you are fresh and can really enjoy the scenery at its best.

Places to stop for lunch…..hmmmm my favorite place is Bagno Vignoni (Osteria Porcellum Piazza delle Sorgenti, 6, 53027 Bagno Vignoni) - backup town is Buonconvento … just about anywhere there is good.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

Hi Donna,
Thank you for the advice. Is the highway by Siena very congested and busy? As I said, I am nervous about driving on the roads and if there is a more scenic road versus more congested, I would rather take that (especially since we don't plan to stop in Siena).

My plan is to stop and have lunch in a town along our way to Panzano -- maybe in Chiusi or Pienza. And stopping at a winery or two in Montepulciano since we won't be back down that way during our trip unfortunately.

Thoughts??

Grazie,
Steph

Buongiorno,

OMGoodness - as the Italians would say “imbarazzo della scelta!” (there are too many to choose from). First thing to know is that BOTH Orvieto and Chiusi could fill an afternoon, Orvieto is a much larger town but they are both worth a visit and a stroll about the city center...and if you are so inclined, indulge in one of the underground tours in either one of the towns - fascinating.

If you are driving up to Panzano, my suggestion is to go towards the “Cassia” SR2 - and drive it up to Siena, (believe me this is the road where half the photos of Val d’Orcia are shot) then you will change to the Florence/Siena highway “raccordo autostrada” and get off the San Donato exit. You can take an alternate route from Siena (SS222)...but I would leave that for another day when you are fresh and can really enjoy the scenery at its best.

Places to stop for lunch…..hmmmm my favorite place is Bagno Vignoni (Osteria Porcellum Piazza delle Sorgenti, 6, 53027 Bagno Vignoni) - backup town is Buonconvento … just about anywhere there is good.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

roads

Hi -

it is a single lane highway in both directions (SR2) but I have never found it to be exceptionally congested...unless you get behind a tractor.:cool:

This is my prefered route ... and if you really want a route that is very pretty and back road and not congested you can try the SP46 ... just remember the more the "backroad" it is then the more the curves and travel time.

As per lunch ...I am standing by my two prior suggestions. However if you stopped at Montepulciano you can visit a cantina or two there in the city center, which are absolutely spectacular.

Donna Denise