Transportation Tuscany areas

Jbea0125

Hi there,
I’m very overwhelmed in the planning process and am hoping for some insight.

I’m going to Italy in October and was planning to start in Rome then head to Tuscany and/or Florence. I have 2 weeks in Italy. My dream is to stay countryside and do day trips when wanted to areas like Siena, San Gimignano, Lucca. And possibly Emilia Romagna from Florence.

What’s troubling me is that I’m reading that a rental car is the best way to go in that case and that intimidates me. I’m not sure as a first time traveler to Italy that I’m comfortable with that.
I read your article that there’s buses from some of the towns but I’m not sure how to determine lodging in relation to transportation. Also if I stayed countryside, any recs on beat region to stay?

If you can offer any recommendations I would really appreciate it!!

Thank you,
Jessica

Ciao Jessica,
I understand your hesitancy in not wanting to rent a car and drive in a foreign country and that it clashes with your wish to stay in the countryside... but it is possible to do it without a car, although it will limit your choices to places that are within walking distance to specific towns, where the public transport is easy to use. I suggest you start from this article: https://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-accommodation/where-to-stay-without-a-car.html and from there decide on your bases. I highly recommend along the train lines between Florence and Siena - the small towns along the way offer the chance to experience country life as well as being close to the trains and use that to move around.

For Chianti, I often recommend staying in Greve - although that requires using the bus to get back to Florence and then from Florence getting trains to other parts of the region.