Tuscany In December

LauraF

Hello! My husband and I will be in Tuscany in early December and I am looking for advice on a few points. I will be staying in Italy for work reasons after our vacation

-Would it be prudent to rent a car during this time of year given potential winter road conditions? And we have never driven in Italy so I have some reservations about adapting to driving culture and being able to find our destinations

-If car isn’t recommended we are very comfortable taking the train as we have done so in the past

-Our interests: food/wine, culture, scenery

-Would love to visit: Holiday markets, Siena, Montelpuciano, Chianti, hot springs. (We have already visited Lucca and Pisa)

-I would need to be able to get to Tolentino at the end of the vacation portion of the trip or meet my colleagues at Rome airport.

Any advice is welcome. I am a little anxious on planning myself mostly because of considerations needed for winter travel. Most guides are centered around the fair weathered vacation periods.

Thank you!

Ciao Laura,

Actually, I would recommend you do rent the car in December. It will make moving around much easier, considering you want to visit Chianti, the hot springs and Montepulciano, which aren't that easy to reach or visit without a car.

Your rental should include snow chains, they are required by law to have them on board in case of need, but unless you decide to go into the mountains, the altitude of the hills in Chianti and Montepulciano, and everything in between, isn't high enough and there generally is no snow in these places. Unless we get a freak weather pattern that brings extraordinarily cold weather in December, there shouldn't be snow or icy roads to be worried about. Tuscany is pretty central in Italy, if you go up north, the risk of more winter weather is higher.

Now, I can imagine if you've never driven here that you will feel anxious about it - where are you coming from? I can assure you, from driving in the US (California to be more precise) and here, that the main difference I see are the signs and that roads are more narrow than those in California but just drive carefully and with a trusty GPS map on your phone and you should be alright.

As for Tolentino, you mean in Macerata? The easiest way is driving there because trains do not go directly there from Tuscany.
But if you have to meet colleagues in Rome, then from there you could take a train. So decide whether you will need the car for your work portion - will you be there the entire time in one spot or need to drive? That should help you decide the pros and cons of keeping the car once your travel in Tuscany is over.

How many days will you have in Tuscany? Have you already booked accommodation? Do share any other doubts or questions you have and I'll try to offer advice!