Tuscany & Umbria Trip

Cajetan

Hello Lourdes,
My wife and I will be arriving in Rome on June 1st and Leaving from Rome on June 15th.
We would like to spend our time in Tuscany & Umbria.
I would appreciate you advice to set up a base in maybe in
1) Siena to see Siena, Voltera, and San Gimignano,
2)Then in the val d'orcia area to see Montalcino, Pienza & Montepulciano
3) Maybe Cortona or Perugia to see Arrezzo, Cortona, Perugia Gubbio
4)Assisi to see Assisi, Spello & Spolito
From here we would return to Rome to leave.
Do you think this is to much in 12 days or are these towns not interesting to
see for the culture and beauty.
Cajetan

Ciao Cajetan,

All those towns merit a visit and the way you've divided them up works well, moving from one area to the other to not waste time in driving.
As far as time/days, you could do:
1. 3 days in Siena - make time to also just drive through Chianti between Siena and San Gimignano so you can enjoy the views.
2. 3 days in Pienza - make sure to also include San Quirico, Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni -- all are pretty close so can be quick stops or longer stops, but it takes little to get to one place and then the other. Also enjoy the views on the drives!!
3. 2 days for Arezzo/Cortona
4. 2 days for Perugia/Gubbio
5. 2 days for Assisi and area

This is the time you should dedicate to each area, either #3 and #4 or #4 and 5 can be combined into one central place, but just wanted to say you should give yourself more time to explore each place.

I assume you use at least a day or two at each end to arrive and also see Rome itself.

As for base, do you want specific recommendations? It seems to be that you need to look for places that rent rooms as hotels, even if they are in the countryside and not labeled as hotels per se, since you'll be moving and checking in and out often. Take a look at https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/siena/ and see what you like from there.

Let me know if you want specific recommendations in each place, letting me know the types of places that speak out to you ;-).