Want to see something new!

Lifes2short

I am coming to stay in Chianciano Terme in 3 weeks time, just 10 minutes from Montepulciano. I am travelling by coach so do not have access to a car. I have been coming to this area for many years and would really like to explore and see somewhere different. I would have to rely on public transport and happy to use the train station at Chiusi. We know Rome, Florence, Orvieto, Montepulciano and Siena very well. Is there anywhere else that we can get too? We would love to see something different and always up for an adventure!!

What about Pienza, San Quirico d'Orcia and Montalcino?

Hello,
I really have the perfect answer for you! Chianciano Terme is very close to others gorgeous and important towns in Val d’Orcia. Have you ever heard about Pienza, San Quirico d’Orcia and Montalcino? If you haven’t you have absolutely to go there!
This is a really enchanting area, it offers incredible landscapes and villages to visit.
Here a small guide to the Val d’Orcia,, where you’ll find all the information you need.
At the Station of Chiusi - Chianciano Terme you’ll find the bus lines which links Chianciano with all the others towns. Check Busfox for bus timetables, I hope it will be useful!

Enjoy! :D

Arezzo, Cortona and Anghiari are just a few more you can discover on this trip!

Ciao Lifes2Short (love that nick!) :)

I agree with Sara in heading toward the other towns of the Val d'Orcia which are really close to Montepulciano. As the train doesn't cross the area, you'll have to depend on buses to move around. Definitely search on Busfox for timetables for buses in the area.

Not sure how many days you'll have to explore but since it seems you've still to see Arezzo and Cortona, both of which can be reached by train from Chiusi. If you have time, try to make it to the small town of Anghiari, a medieval gem not well known by foreigners. If you're here on June 29, go see the Palio della Vittoria. You can reach Anghiari by bus from Arezzo's train station.

Great that you're searching out new places to visit on each trip - there is still so much of Tuscany you haven't seen - we love the Casentino and Garfagnana as well as the Maremma areas.... but all definietly require your own means of transportation so maybe for your next trip?? :D

Really amazing places to visit in Tuscany that are not included in your list are the medieval towns of Monteriggioni and San Gimignano near by Siena, the city center of Lucca and Pisa. On the seaside Cinque Terre, Calafuria (Livorno) and Golfo di Baratti (Piombino). Another beautifull destination is Castiglione della Pescaia (Grosseto). Very interesting also San Rossore, the old property of last king of Italy. If you like adventure and contact with nature I recommend horse trekking and riding in the Chianti or in the Maremma region.