Wedding planning and costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make-up and Flowers

Hello

unfortunately, as soon as you tell them that it is for a wedding all prices go up...so a hair cut and set that would normally go for 100 is now more. However, if this is important to you then I agree with Lourdes - just look at the total for the wedding, and let your planner know where you can cut costs and what is important to you - they have wiggle room.

I did quite a bit of work as a planner, and my suggestion on the flowers is to just go with your bouquet, your bridesmaids & the men UNLESS you can reuse the flowers at the restaurant. In fact, many times the place you are getting married in is already pretty awesome on its own. It's not like at home where you can send the vases or arrangements home with family and friends. Now wine you can send home with the guests - flowers not so much. Maybe look at decorating the table with select wine bottles that double as gifts ... or you could just go plain and elegant. Afterall they are there to celebrate you and that tasty meal... not the flowers.

If you want to cut the cost on the flower decorations - ask the florist what is in season. When they know you have a budget, I found they help you find the "showiest" flowers at the best price.

Buona Festa,

Dear all, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling with trying to get married in Tuscany. We were looking for an officiant that is able to host a civil non religious ceremony at private venues, regardless of location. Please let me know if you have any good tips on locating one!

Thanks =)

Musician Help Please!

Hey everyone!

I've booked a venue and photographer for our September 2015 wedding in Southern Tuscany, the venue and internet has been really helpful for prices and suggestions for the majority of the requirements. I am struggling with the musician side of things. We really want something non classical and traditionally Italian for the ceremony and afterwards (cocktails and during reception) specifically a guitar trio or mandolins. Really would love a gipsy band so that sort of style would be perfect. Any help on suggestions of where to look would be massively appreciated!

Vendor help for Tuscan wedding

Hi Everyone,

I am also getting married in Tuscany (Montepulciano) in October and it has been challenging to find different vendors. I have been told by my photographer it is not necessary to get a planner since the internet can be so helpful so I am trying to do it on my own (with the help of my villa and photographer). I have booked a villa for 3 nights and we're having a civil ceremony at the town hall. But it has been challenging to find a hair dresser, make up artist, florist and entertainment. Like most of you, I have received lots of quotes from stylists and they are very high but it seems like this is the norm. I am between 4 options (Daniela Delia, Giulia Cresci, Adrienne Aereboe and Samantha Hairstyle). Has anyone used any of these stylists before? Also, any recommendations or florists or entertainment?

Thanks!
Steph

Prices for Hair

It always annoys me how expensive it is to get your hair done for a wedding in Italy. My advice, and I have told many brides this before, is to go to the salon and just tell them you're going to a party. An up-do for example could cost as little as €30!

Dear all, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling with trying to get married in Tuscany. We were looking for an officiant that is able to host a civil non religious ceremony at private venues, regardless of location. Please let me know if you have any good tips on locating one!

Thanks =)

I'm not sure this would be legal though. In order to have a legal ceremony, it must be organised through the local comune.
If you're happy to have a ceremony without it being legally binding, then you can get married wherever you want and I know a great celebrant that can help.

Flowers and Hair

Hello, such helpful forum you have going here!

I am getting married in may 2015 in San Casciano In Val di Pesa, near florence, and starting to get obber stressed! I have the venue booked, but not much else.

I have not hired a planner, but seriously considering.

I am wondering if you guys have had any luck finding affordable hair and makeup person and also a florist? I also thought about doing my own flowers... Lourdes, would you happen to know whether the thursday Florence flower market would be a good place to go for fresh cut flowers, or if its more for potted plants? I am thinking seasonal flowers, peonies and other loose fillers.

I am also looking for a string quartet or any strings at all would be great.

Any help and sharing of ideas would be much appreciated!!!

Helpless

Don't get stressed! and don't put too much pressure on yourself by going to flower markets and doing your own flowers. There are so many local, smaller florists that do not charge the earth. Its perfectly reasonable to be spending only €50 on a bouquet. I hope you've managed to get it sorted as your wedding is next month! Good luck x

Agree with Hitched in Italy as far as hairdresser goes - price automatically goes up as soon as they here it is for a wedding. So if you have the time, you can go in and do it at their salon before heading out.
Keep in mind the high cost for many hairdressers is not just their skill but the fact that many will go out to you to your villa, to save YOU time and fit around YOUR schedule. So keep that in mind when considering rates.

If you're fine in taking things easily and with flexibility, you can also go to a local florist and select what you like and have it done last minute, as long as it isn't a major order most likely they will be able to meet your needs. Particularly as regards bouquets, but here even a nice bouquet arrangement you can take as a housewarming gift can cost you 30-50 euros, really depends on what you choose.

YES - to have anything be official, celebrants have to come from city hall and require you doing documents ahead of time and with local consulates doing part of the paperwork. Otherwise, it is just a celebrant for a symbolic wedding, that is what symbolic stands for. You can do it anywhere you want at that point.

Keep in mind that wedding planners can also just help in just parts of the planning, such as just paperwork or just putting you in touch with local suppliers and do just that without planning the entire wedding....... although I do think it really depends on the planner. Some are loath to say who they work with upfront and want to be the middle man across the entire process, but in this case, I recommend Cindy Salgado for this reason - she's the first to give out names and contacts so that the couples can choose and give credit where credit is due. You can already find "names" of suppliers for weddings she has organized directly on her website, if you browse through it and the weddings she's helped organize. A true "planner" in the sense of the word, in my opinion.
Here's my interview with her and her contact info is at the end:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/weddings-in-tuscany/cindy-salgado-tuscany-wedding-experience.html

As far as suppliers, I really think you want locals from the area in Montepulciano - keeps help costs down! Sorry can't help in this case other than offer general tips.
As far as entertainment, depending on what type of you want, I do think Cindy can help!

General costs is Tuscany?

Hey everyone
really helpful tips here, so I thought I jump in with my wedding prep questions as well...
we are planning a summer wedding in Tuscany, close to Piombino (due to my pregnancy only in 2016, after all I want to be able to enjoy the lovely Tuscan wine at my own wedding, right?!).
We have a house there so we're luckily all set for the venue. However, my fiancé and I are just starting budget conversation and are really not in agreement there so any indications of costs would be of enormous help...!
My main concern is catering costs. We are planning for approx 70 people. Definitely need something to nibble when they arrive or then right after the ceremony (symbolic in the olive orchard), then dinner and late night snack.
For the late night snack we will probably get the pizza oven going, but for the rest we will have to consider a caterer and it is just maddening to get realistic prizes over the internet from abroad. SOOO: Can anyone help? We're not looking for super fancy (no caviar needed, haha) but especially I am a foodie, so it need be high quality, just really tasty, even if its just a caprese salad and pasta...
Thanks ton for any indications. will for sure help avoid further pre-matrimonial differences :(

Hi FutureFueter

I've used caterers in the past and you're right, then can be pricey. Have you considered asking a local restaurant or trattoria to cater for your wedding? This will drive the costs right down and if it's a restaurant you know well, you know the quality will be there.
I do have a good recommendation for a caterer, they're based up in Prato, but I imagine they travel all over the region. Let me know!

makeup artist help

sjconrad did you have any luck booking one of those makeup artists? I have contacted all of them except Samantha Hairstyle, where did you find her? But in general I have found it to be pretty expensive, around 500euro for bridal hair and makeup. Does anyone have any other suggestions for makeup artists in or around tuscany?

Thanks

immy.

Where are you getting married? If you let me know a region / area, I might be able to help you locate someone who won't cost the earth.

Hairdresser now!

Hi.

We are getting married the 5th of September close to Siena and are getting frustrated with the prices. There must be someone who could just set up the hair of the bride and two bridesmaids for a "normal" price? Who can we contact? Running out of time!!!

Thank you.
Andreas

Hello
PLease don't get too worried about this. I know some hair stylists in Tuscany, but I don't know of any 'economical' ones in the Siena region. My advice is this; wait until you arrive and book yourself into a local salon, tell them it's for a party and not a wedding (as that might crank the price up). Make sure you take photos of what you want in case there's a communication / language problem and I'm pretty sure you'l get what you want at a fraction of the cost. There are hairdressers in every town in Italy.
Good luck.

Caterers

Hi FutureFueter

I've used caterers in the past and you're right, then can be pricey. Have you considered asking a local restaurant or trattoria to cater for your wedding? This will drive the costs right down and if it's a restaurant you know well, you know the quality will be there.
I do have a good recommendation for a caterer, they're based up in Prato, but I imagine they travel all over the region. Let me know!

Hi, I really would have liked if a local restaurant could be able to cater for my upcoming wedding, next year in september (Somewhere in Tuscany). Though I do not know the quality of the restaurants, and I enjoy more fun food than tomato with mozzarella (which seems to be standard). Lots of the menus sounds good, but somewhat boring when you can have it whenever at home.
Any suggestions?
PS. Love red wine.

Hi, I really would have liked if a local restaurant could be able to cater for my upcoming wedding, next year in september (Somewhere in Tuscany). Though I do not know the quality of the restaurants, and I enjoy more fun food than tomato with mozzarella (which seems to be standard). Lots of the menus sounds good, but somewhat boring when you can have it whenever at home.
Any suggestions?
PS. Love red wine.

A local restaurant is more likely to provide you with regional and seasonal dishes and I imagine quite more substantial menus than Insalata Caprese. Depending on where you are getting married, I may be able to recommend a local restaurant, although Tuscany is a big place, so I don't know it all!

so not sure

Thank you for your reply.
We haven't decided on the destination, because we haven't found accommodation that suits our needs. I'm very open for suggestions in that department too;) maybe we will choose the location based on the local food and wine, because we all love good food.
Is it possible to rent a chef or something? And do local restaurants who could cater have a website?

Thank you all in advance.

It IS possible to rent a chef - and there are many restaurants that do have websites that will specifically say they will cater. But NOT ALL OF THEM do this, so there is really a lot of information missing from the web. That is where a wedding planner can come in handy -- just the right connections and knowledge across the whole Tuscan region. Don't assume that you need to hire a planner to handle everything, the planners can offer services as consultants as well and give you more information than we have ourselves. Including pointing you out to the areas or places to consider.
Take a look on this page: http://www.discovertuscany.com/weddings-in-tuscany/
I would recommend considering asking Cindy Salgado for some information - I think she can be of great help as she generally also just points people in the right direction, if that is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.