What area should we stay in with two kid (9 and 12)

calbear

I have found an amazing hotel in southern Tuscany for mid April (the Moscadella). But I'm trying to find out where we will want to spend most of our time. We have 4 full days in Tuscany (not including Florence). Initially I thought we would bike the city walls in Lucca, swing by Pisa, wine taste in Chianti, visit a market, and visit a farm. But then I started to find things like hot springs near Pienza, farms down there and great restaurants. If you just had four days where would you stay? I am looking for a dreamy hotel that really feels like Tuscany with views, good food, and a relaxed atmosphere. Is there anything like the Moscadella in the central region?

Ciao!

Oh there are lots of places similar to the Moscadella across the entire region, so you're definitely on the right path to consider what you want to do, determine the area you want to stay in and then look for lodgings that will accommodate what you're looking for. Otherwise, if you fall in love with a place, you can always work an itinerary around the location you want to stay in.
Are you still planning on doing Lucca, Pisa, Chianti? Or you really want to fit in the hot springs as well? Near Pienza you can find both Bagno Vignoni, Petriolo, and San Filippo a little further south and then Rapoloano Terme in the opposite direction, toward Arezzo. The Saturnia hot springs are too far away from that area, in the Maremma, that's a whole trip for you. There are also hot springs to the west of Florence, including not far from Pisa, around Montecatini, in the mountains not far from Lucca. Those generally are no longer outdoor springs, you get access by visiting a spa center. So it depends on what you want. I am thinking you might want to do the outdoor ones, with the kids it could be a fun, interesting adventure.

So with 4 days, if you want a taste of Tuscany, of the farms and great food and the hot springs, I'd recommend you look into the area around Pienza. Did you see that Moscadella also has a farm in the Pienza countryside? It's called Cretaiole - here's the link: https://www.theisabellaexperience.com/it/agriturismo-cretaiole-toscana/
If you want to look at other alternatives, I also recommend you take a look at this page: https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/pienza/
I particularly love Podere Cunina for the location and amazing views, it's not far from Pienza closer to Siena.

If you stay in this area, I would recommend you spend more time in that area exploring Pienza, San Quirico, Montepulciano and Montalcino, as well as heading to Siena, the castle of Monteriggioni just outside of Siena and to San Gimignano. With its high medieval towers, I imagine the kids will enjoy Siena, Monteriggioni and San Gimignano the most. Pisa and Lucca are a bit out of the area and require more driving. If you want to do Pisa and Lucca, I'd actually suggest staying in Chianti and thus reducing driving times. For kids, I highly recommend Agriturismo Vernianello and Agriturismo Montalbino, which you can find on this page - https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/chianti/

I suggest you get the kids involved to plan the "must-sees" that you have to have in those 4 days, that way it will be easier to choose where to stay. Let me know if I can be of further assistance - and have fun planning!

Last edited: