where to rent & drop off a car

wondrousworld

My husband and I will be renting a car to tour Tuscany for the better part of a week. Coming from Florence, is it better to rent a car in/near Florence or take a train to Siena and rent a car there? Also, if we want to go to the thermal springs at Saturnia, where can we drop off the rental car without driving all the way back to Florence and/or Siena? Thanks in advance for your help!

car rentals in Florence

Buongiorno

I definitely suggest you get the car while staying in Florence. If getting it in the city center is a bit nerve wrecking for you then take the public transport (or a taxi) to the airport and pick it up there. From the airport you have a quick and easy access to the major roads that will take you to Siena / Saturnia.

Leaving the car really depends on where you are flying out of (or your next destination). If you are going to Rome or Naples...then I would drop the car off in Florence and train it to where ever you are going. Less hassle with parking and navigating two cities that are nerve wrecking (even for a consolidated Italian driver ;.D)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thanks so much! We will be heading to Naples/Amalfi Coast after that. Was hoping to drop off the car somewhere in South Tuscany -- is Grosseto an option? -- or further south than that, and then catch the train to Naples. Maybe that's wishful thinking... but if anyone has suggestions, I'm open.

car pick up in florence, and drop off????

I've been researching this question for weeks and i'm so excited to come across it. At the end of the month i will be traveling from Florence to Chiati area and I wasn't sure if I should rent a car in Florence. We will stay for 2 days in chianti area, while driving around looking at the wonderful areas(suggestions would be great). Afterward we will head to Amalfi coast. I thought maybe we should take car back to Rome train station and then take a train from there? Does this make sense financially, time wise? I am so looking forward to your advice. thank you so much!

train to Naples

I am putting friends on a train next weekend to Naples - and from Florence (no changes) is only a 3 hr trip - fast and easy. No navigating the Rome train station or cumbersome train changes.

You could look into arranging your travels in Tuscany so that you go down to Saturnia and then plan a day visiting towns that brings you back north like in the San Gimignano / Volterra / Montespertoli area before leaving the car in Florence and catching the train south.

There are trains from Grosseto but there take longer and many times include changes...just uncomfortable.

Have Fun!!

Donna Denise