Booking museum access for persons with disabilities

KarenH

I am looking for guidance regarding the statement I have seen on a few websites, that "Persons with disabilities are entitled by law to free priority access to all State Museums of Florence". My husband has a medical condition that results in impaired mobility including difficulty with walking. We have documentation from his physician confirming that this is considered a permanent disability. Is there a standard practice for us to follow when we try to book tickets for museums? I do not see free tickets as an option on the websites, but I worry about waiting until we arrive to visit the help desks, so I wonder if I should call/email each location individually? Also, I wonder if I need to purchase a ticket for myself, given that I am his helper on uneven/slippery terrain or with stairs. Thank you for any advice you might have!

You don't need to book tickets ahead of time. Just show up at the museum (all museums), head to the top of any line there might be and show your documentation. He, plus an accompanying person (helper), will then be let in without the need to wait in line, free entrance. For that reason, you definitely don't need to book tickets ahead of time!

Does he need a wheelchair while here or will you bring something along? You can rent a wheelchair while here if you need one, this article has some more info on this: https://www.visitflorence.com/moving-around-florence/physical-disability.html
Let me know if you need more info on anything!

I think it's a golden rule if you are together with PWD, pregnant, kids you have the privilege to be accommodated or prioritized first.

I think it's a golden rule if you are together with PWD, pregnant, kids you have the privilege to be accommodated or prioritized first.
While it might be a golden rule, here I have only seen people with disabilities and pregnant get accommodated IF you go to the front of the line and make yourself be seen and noticed.

As for families with kids in general, no, I don't see special considerations made for them. If you have newborns or really small babies, you might but again, make sure to go to the front of any line to be noticed and ask! It won't be an automatic concession given.