Public Transport to Mugello Race track

Ciao Alannah,

Glad the information has been useful!!

I'm assuming you're heading up with the train, right? In this case, know that San Piero a Sieve is the train stop right before Borgo San Lorenzo so you'll need to make that stop first.
Then walk to the office to pick up the tickets, then head back to catch the train to Borgo.
Here's the map from the station to the media center.
It doesn't seem far - you can also take the bus - click on the bus link, it will show you the route (305B or 307A).

Have fun at the trials and weekend!! Do let us know if all of the logistics turn out as we've shared or if you find changes that would be useful to share with others for next year too ;-)!

Hi,

Thank you so much for that information!
Yes, I am hoping to use public transport, and I am so pleased to know that it isn't far from the train station, but please may you send me the link again, I can't seem to get that one to work!

Thanks,
Alannah

Ciao Lourdes,

Thank you for the link it is very useful and I am happy to know where the centre is.

Would it be better to get to the circuit from San Piero a Sieve or Borgo San Lorenzo? As on the map they both look similar distances. :)

Thanks,
Alannah :)

trains and shuttles to Mugello circuit

As far as we know, the shuttles from the train station to the circuit run from Borgo San Lorenzo.... but if you get to San Piero and find shuttles are going to the circuit, then that is certainly a very good opportunity to head straight from there to Scarperia!! :)
If you do were to find shuttles there, let us know because it would be great info to share with others as well!!

Train issues

Hi, I am staying in Florence for the MotoGP race weekend and plan to attend the race on the saturday and sunday :D
As many other people on the forum, I am also looking at public transport options to get to the track.
I would prefer using the train service as there is less chance of delays obviously so had planned to get the train for Florence to San Piero a Seive as suggested and then get the bus from there to Scarperia but when I typed in my destinations into trenitalia, it came up with no travel solution found. :confused:

Although you have suggested going to Borgo San Lorenzo because of the shuttle buses, but it still came up with no solution when I put it in the destination:confused:

Any ideas why and is this a good route to take in order to avoid traffic and delays as much as possible?

Thanks alot

Tasha

Last edited:
train to Mugello is best option

ciao Tasha,

The info you have found is still valid, it is just that the Trenitalia site only has info on trains for 2 months from now... so you cannot see scheduled trains for June yet!

So best solution is train to either San Piero a Sieve or Borgo San Lorenzo and then shuttle bus to the race circuit - and yes, there are buses from San Piero too.

Mugello Circuit - getting to the race track in Mugello

For anyone looking for information on getting to the Mugello Circuit - I've just collected all of the info and searched for updates and it is all here:

Mugello Race Circuit

I will keep that page updated so that it holds all details and the questions that are often asked. If something is missing, let me know!!

Hi Lourdes.

Thank you for the effort you put into this forum. There's some really good info here for us travelers.

We arrive in Florence Wednesday and are travelling up to Mugello and back for Saturday qualifing & Sunday race.

We are going to get the train from florence to borgo S Lorenzo and bus or walk from there. Do you know if the shuttle buses run all weekend or just sunday also do you think it would be prudent to buy our tickets now?
We are flying into Pisa and will be using the train a lot. Have you heard about any cheap rail cards we could use?

Thanks

Ciao Zooks,

You'll be mainly using regional trains so there is no need to buy tickets ahead of time as they are no reserved seats on them - first come, first seated ;)

The extra free shuttles seem to only be for Sunday. For Saturday, take a look at the article posted above and at the bus schedules I linked since I think you'll just be taking the regular bus that runs from Borgo to Scarperia. I am pretty sure there are likely to be EXTRA shuttles offered on this weekend, it is pretty major so I'd say to not worry about being stranded at all.

I'd love it if you can give me feedback next week about how both days turn out as far as transportation goes, whether you have any problems with train or buses or if everything goes smoothly. I know the region has been working hard to make sure things go smoothly but there is lack of details of how things work online!

As far as rail cards, how many days total? It seems passes are sold for specific routes (like monthly passes) and some passes are more expensive than buying tickets --- so it totally depends on what you're thinking of doing. Most regional trains are not that expensive (8-9 euros one way between Florence and Pisa and Florence and Siena).

We will definately put together some sort of trip report and I will let you know how it goes.

We fly in to Piza Wednesday and return Monday so will be using the train for 4 of our 6 days there but it sounds like it would be cheaper to get tickets when we need them.

I'm sure we will be fine although MotoGP was not cheap and we'd hate to miss it. As a last resort we could always walk from Borgo S L, Google maps says its a good hours walk so not too bad and we get to see the Tuscan countryside.

Yes, I really think it will be cheaper to just get the tickets you need directly at the station. You can check schedules on trenitalia.com beforehand to at least have an idea of when to expect them but ones from Pisa to Florence are every hour and at times every half hour. And trains to Borgo will also be increased over the weekend.

As for the walk, yes, that would be a last resort which I don't think you'll have to worry about... I am sure there will be lots of others heading the same way, just follow if they seem to know where they are going and ask, I am sure anyone at the station will know being asked constantly ;-).

Have lots of fun!!! :)

Picking Up Tickets

Hi
I bought tickets for the saturday and sunday for the MotoGP event and selected to pick my tickets up from the race track.
They then sent me additional information and a ticket voucher with directions and instructions to redeem the voucher for race tickets in San Pietro a Seive.
Do I need to go there and collect tickets and not do it at the track or do i do it when i arrive at the track on saturday?
They are telling me to do both :confused:

Any help that you could give me would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Regards
Tasha

PS: Congrats on the terrific forum, very helpful for travelling fans :D

tickets pick up in San Piero a Sieve

Hi tasha,
This article has all the info collected here which includes picking up tickets: http://www.discovertuscany.com/mugello/mugello-circuit.html
Essentially, you need to pick the tickets up in San Piero a Sieve at the address they sent you (the media center) on Saturday before you head to the track... San Piero is the stop before/after San Borgo depending on what train you catch. On Saturday, you can then catch a regular bus from San Piero to Scarperia or from Borgo, while on Sunday there are free shuttles from both. Read the article above to get a more general feel of how you can get there. If you still have questions, let me know and I'll try to help out!

originally I had decided to get the train to Borgo San Lorenzo and then get the bus to Scarperia as suggested in your previous comments but our accommodation is close to the train station so thought it would be easier to get the bus directly from florence to scarperia and cut out a train journey.
I looked at the pdf schedules that you previously put links too and they earliest bus to leave florence is not until half 10.
Is this right or have I just read it wrong in which case what time is the earliest bus to Scarperia leaving Florence?

Regards
Tasha

Actually it seems on Saturdays there is no bus from Florence, they are all local in Mugello from San Piero or Borgo.
Check days on top of columns and notes.

Seems you need train+bus!

Hi Again Lourdes.

Just thought i would update this thread with our observations following our trip to Mugello last weekend.

We went for the train/bus option in the end as we were staying so close to Firenze SMN station. On saturday we caught the train to Borgo san lorenzo. Finding a train was easy enough and plenty of seats available. There were 2 trains running, one direct (& faster) one not.
No signs of any shuttle buses when we got to Borgo S L but plenty of taxis waiting to take us! They fill their mini buses up with as many as people as they can get in and charge 10 euros per person each way for the short trip to Mugello Circuit.
It was certainly more conveniant than a bus so I'll leave it up to others to decide if thats too expensive.

The taxi dropped us at the main and I'll add a this point that as Mugello is a very large hilly circuit and we still had a good hours walk around the track to get to our seats from the gate. Leaving was no issue as we picked the taxi up at the drop off point and easily got a train back.

A repeat trip for sunday race day but with a few differences.

Even though we were at the station at 7am the train was packed full to bursting (think london tube at rush hour busy) and no seats anywhere. It was the same at Borgo S L for the shuttle bus. One 30 seat bus for a train bringing about 200 race goers doesnt work so it was back to the taxi's. A word of warning here, there were lots of private cars masquerading as taxis (still 10 euros P/P though!) and im not sure if your travel insurance would cover you for using them. Funnily enough they all quickly 'vanished' when the Politzia drove through the carpark.

Race day at Mugello was brilliant, crazy and busy and the taxi couldn't get anywhere near the previous drop off point so we walked the last 1/2 mile to the gate.
It was even worse on leaving. nothing on wheels gets out of Mugello quickly and we ended up walking back to Borgo S L. The walk took us about 1 1/4 hours and was quite a pleasant walk through the countryside.
The quick train was jam packed again so we took the slow train and were able to get seats.

So there you go. Be prepared for the crowds and maybe resort to taxi's from the station if you want to get there quickly.
We had an absolute blast and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Can't wait to go again.

thank you!!

ciao Zooks,

thank you so very much for sharing this update with us, it is really useful to know how things turned out over the weekend and how different the experience was between Saturday and Sunday.

Just to be clear, there are NO shuttle buses offered on Saturday - just normal local buses run by AMV. 10 euros per person does seem a bit like a ripoff but I suppose as you have mentioned, it was fast and got you there quickly (at least on Saturday).

On Sunday... yes, that is what the situation turns out to be as far as the crowds, the race draws so many people and since it is in the countryside, it is just impossible for things to work more smoothly, the roads are what they are and are fine the rest of the year :D that is why you go to enjoy the whole day experience and have fun without being in a hurry. Leaving fast really does sound as if it out of the question! it sounds like service as far as trains go was lacking this year, as if they hadn't offered extra ones?

I really appreciate you letting us know how things were working there, particularly about the private cars - very useful to know!! It also sounds like you likely weren't the only ones walking back to Borgo S. Lorenzo.

Am glad you had a blast :D

Mugello

These replies are old ones .
Do the buses run to mugello race track this Sunday . Hoping to get train from Florence and then short bus ride to the circuit .
Looking at bus timetables ,there are no buses on a Sunday .
Coming to see the races just on the Sunday 1st June 2014

The replies are old but many, especially last year's, are still pertinent. Just read the last few posts from last year above,

You won't find any schedules online at all, as the regular bus company does not offer service on Sundays.
And what is offered is pretty limited, take the train to Borgo from Florence - expect it to be packed - and then once you arrive see what's available. There is a mix of shuttles, mini vans and taxis (legal and not) offering passage. If you feel like a walk, it really isn't that far - about 6.5km or 4 miles. With all of the road traffic, it still takes a long while to do them.

Have fun!