Travel by train around Tuscany

Train travel from Tuscany to Chateauroux, France

Hello, after a week in Tuscany, we'd like to travel by train to Chateauroux, France. We'd prefer to travel the coast of Italy and France as much as possible over 3-4 days. We would be starting at the train station- Stazione di Camucia-Cortona. Any recommendations of which areas to travel to/through and where to stay? Thank you very much for your advice!:cool:

From Cortona you can head to Florence, from there west to either Pisa or Lucca and then head north.
You could do a stop just north of Lucca in the Viareggio area or further north in the Cinque Terre - or skip that entirely and head to Genova and then up to Ventimiglia. If you have the time, I'd suggest a night in Viareggio, 2 in CT and then another north of there... I've heard Sanremo is really nice but I can't confirm from personal experience. I don't know the French riviera either but another possibility is Nice -- maybe once you look at train schedules and figure out what the best route is for the train to your final stop, maybe you'll be able to narrow down some choices?

Tuscany->Florence->FCO-Flight

Hello, not sure if this thread is active, but I'll give it a quick go.

We are four adults spending ~week in Tuscany. Rough plan is last day in Tuscany, returning rental car to Florence, train to Rome and depart to USA east coast(ATL,JFK,PHL,CLT). Most flights from FCO are afternoon departures. I think this will require on overnight in Rome or near FCO. What's your thoughts?

If the departure is in the afternoon from FCO, you could manage to do everything that morning.

Another alternative that morning is to drive down to Rome and return car at the airport, have you looked into cost of doing the return there?