Traveling around Tuscany/ Things to do

jxean28

Hi there,

First of all.. thank you for the page!
My family of 4 (adults) will be travelling to Florence and stay 2 nights over there then head over to countryside. We have booked our night in Florence.

And now we are looking for a place to stay in the countryside (Chianti) to enjoy the local atmosphere. We are thinking to do 4 nights there. However, we do not have a car. Could you please share places we could stay that has local activities in the farmhouse so it will be convenient for us to enjoy? (example, farm visitations, learning about organic farm, wine tasting) etc.. Or even just anywhere that is convenient to visit.

Thank you so much

Ciao and welcome to the forum, glad you found us and are finding the info useful!

I just answered a similar asking about places to stay at outside of the city without a car - take a look there because those would be the same ones I'd suggest to you as well: https://ask.discovertuscany.com/threads/where-to-stay-itinerary-with-kids-florence.8284/#post-20553

In addition, considering you're all adults and no kids, who would do better traveling further on public transport, I would suggest Viticcio - https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/fattoria-viticcio.html - it is just outside Greve in Chianti, which can be reached by bus from Florence.
That way you are surrounded by vineyards, have the town nearby to head to for dinners out, can do wine tastings directly there (they do organic farming and tours in addition to tastings). You could do hikes in the area and walk up to Montefioralle, a small hamlet above Greve that is home to the Vespucci family (yes, the one Amerigo Vespucci hailed from). You can walk around and find their home, they have the family emblem over the door (hint: a vespa in Italian). You can rent bikes or scooters in Greve and use those to move around, otherwise bus service in the area is iffy (schedules are not made for tourists) or you can head to the local tourist office and find out whether there is a local driver that can drive you to other local wineries.

Villa Dianella is another possibility - it's a winery right outside of Empoli, so you could take a train there and ahead of time arrange for them to go pick your group at the station. Take a look: https://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-bed-and-breakfast/villa-dianella.html
They have winery, restaurant, wine tastings, cooking classes on site, you would need to arrange tours directly with them so that you can roam around the countryside nearby.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and post :D

Hi Lourdes,

Thank you for sharing so much information to me. It has been very useful! I will take a look at the things you have suggested and let you know if I have any more question. Have a great day!!

Thank you.

Hi Good day to you Lourdes,

We have decided to rent a car few days of our stay in Tuscany.

We would be coming from Sorrento to Florence.. Stay 3 days in Florence and 5 days in Tuscany and after that we will go to Milan to fly back home..

Could you please suggest which places to rent a car? I understand as well that we have to go to Naples & Rome before heading to Florence? Correct me if I’m wrong. Also, what's the perfect transportation to get to Florence from Sorrento? Thank you! Looking forward to hear from you.

Ciao Jxean28, good to hear back from you again.

TRAIN is what I recommend between the main cities!
Car for only your days in Tuscany sounds perfect, where did you end up booking as far as area or place?

Since you're ARRIVING in Florence and then heading south to Sorrento, you will be passing through both Rome and Naples heading south and then back north so you can break up the trip by stopping in Rome on the way down and then Naples on the way back. Up to you to decide how you want to break up the trip. Then head north to Milan straight from Rome, if you've already done Florence and Tuscany by then.

If you had planned to head south from the start, I would have recommended flying into Rome, doing that area and then heading north but you had only mentioned Florence and Tuscany. How many days total do you have spread out for Rome and Naples and Sorrento and Milan?

Ciao Jxean28, good to hear back from you again.

TRAIN is what I recommend between the main cities!
Car for only your days in Tuscany sounds perfect, where did you end up booking as far as area or place?

Since you're ARRIVING in Florence and then heading south to Sorrento, you will be passing through both Rome and Naples heading south and then back north so you can break up the trip by stopping in Rome on the way down and then Naples on the way back. Up to you to decide how you want to break up the trip. Then head north to Milan straight from Rome, if you've already done Florence and Tuscany by then.

If you had planned to head south from the start, I would have recommended flying into Rome, doing that area and then heading north but you had only mentioned Florence and Tuscany. How many days total do you have spread out for Rome and Naples and Sorrento and Milan?
Hi Lourdes,

Thanks for your reply once again! I will be flying to Rome 1st for 4 days, then straight to Sorrento for 4 days(We booked an Airbnb in Sorrento)..after that 5 days in Tuscany then 2 days in Milan and back home.

I think I will be renting car in Tuscany only. And others take a train? Would love to hear your suggestions.
Thank you.

Better yet that you're starting off in Rome! Sounds like a perfect plan to me!

Yep, train for connecting all the towns (Rome-Sorrento-Florence-Milan), car for Tuscany only (put Florence at the start of your 5 days in Tuscany if you want to stay in town, then rent and drive out), otherwise rent from the start and drive in for a day in Florence.